Lessons from a Disciple, to a disciple.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

So yeah, for anyone who didn't catch it, I was the recipient of Gaia's teachings this last week. I did have a number of "light-bulb" moments, both with the horses and my riding.

Some tidbits that may or may not apply to you and yours, but really helped:
-When you keep your heels down, it doesn't mean they just hang lower. You *push* them down, and it really helps you balance at the canter. I'm still working on the trot.
-Then, when [Hank] canters to scare the heck out of you, it's really nice to not have to slow down, but urge him forward - you can almost hear him thinking "Oh Sh*t."
-Lateral flexation doesn't take long to learn. And it gives you somewhere to go when pony is being a dingbat and scaring you.
-My idea of gentleness and kindness kinda gets lost in translation ... it can be somewhat disconcerting and even confusing to the horse. Consistency and fairness go a lot further.
-A horse can get you p.o.'d and frustrated and use it against you, much as a child can. It pushes you a lot closer to getting off or ending the session.
-Letting the horse stand still is a good thing.
-Learning to take a breath when you're frustrated is a very good thing.

There's more that I'll put down as I remember it ....

Thanks tons, girlfriend, I think I got a lot out of it.

Thumbnail by Pagancat
This thread has 39 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!