Light at end of tunnel - was: IVY be GONE!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Some subject title huh?
Well, I DO see the light at end of tunnel called 12" of IVY, branches,leaves etc. on very slopy frontyard. So far I've won (i think). Probably should post this also on Designer forum just to get more ideas, but GA gardners usually have very good advise too. Besides I "know" all of you.
What you see is lefthand side of frontyard which is facing NW. This is top of yard closest to street. In the middle will be grass (I'll wait till Fall) and a new path made out of Holland pavers leading to front door, followed by a patch with existing azaleas and from there to house a paved area.
I can try post my drawing on here, I guess.

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is the semi finished version. Raised with fill dirt cause there used to be a big dip and on top approx 5-6" of screened composted top soil. The garden hose in front is just to lay out the shape.

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

And here is last one. With plants. I will try and post this with name tags on picture, also nr. 2 is taken front bedroom window. Maybe better.
What do ya think?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Forgot to import photo!

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

wow! I am stunned - the design is beautiful and the amount of work makes me ache!!!! Please keep posting pictures. This is nice!

Sterling

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Wow that is so nice and I bet a lot of work went in to that project.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

You've come a long way baby! As the saying goes... It's nice to have a plan coming together. I know how hard you've worked in your new garden trying to get rid of the ivy. Are you going to put any hostas around that tree? I like the shape you're going with too!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, your such a hard worker!! It's looking great!
:)

Susan

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you, thank you. Yes it was a lot of hard work and it sure is nice to see it coming to live. Have not been posting rest of my promissed pics. will try. Yesterday I spent few hours in the hospital. In the morning when on the way to the Georg.Aquarium (for volonteer training session) I tripped over prob. 1/2" of some metal thing in pavement (construction going on!) and fell really bad! Flying down the pavement, purse all over the place. But I couldn't get up anymore for few minutes because my right arm had ended up under my body. Twisted wrist, couple bent fingers, felt totally limp! Somewhat panick stricken made it to the Aquar. got ice bag and sat in class for an hour. Decided to go home (by train again) and then straight to hospital. Thank god nothing broken but severely bruised, my hand has about doubled in size, all stiff and blue and needless to say VERY VERY unhandy. I was supposed to start painting my daughter's bedroom this week! Anyway back to gardening:
Around the tree I've planted a bright res Hibiscus, I saw at Pike's and couldn't resist! you'll see in a picture and on other side of tree I planted 2 purple hearts and the Gold Mound Spirea(frm ICF530). Maybe it needs all transplanting again when I see it get toobig for its spot, but that might be a year or two.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Oh sorry you fell and hurt your hand and arm. Waiting on pictures when you have time.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh my Goodness! Hope your feeling okay!
There is a member of the Dahlia society that works at the Aquarium.
:)
Susan

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

You work too hard to be hurt, get better, and I am impressed.Keep those pics comming.Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Anxious here to see your "after" pictures. Take good care of that hand. Sounds like you really took a nasty fall. So thankful it wasn't any worst than it was.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Glad to hear nothing is broken! Make sure you give it time to heal before you start digging again.

Chris

PS. "my hand has doubled in size"........careful that you dont adjust your glasses with that hand, cause somone might be taking a picture! Jim would have a blast with that photo. :)

Sorry, I couldnt resist. Take care of that hand!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

ROFL with you!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks y'all, I think I'll be back tomorrow. Hand is thinning down, I can bend the fingers again! And the glases are tightened up Chris, so I'm not afraid of Jim's camera! ha ha
See you tomorrow guys!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I was trying to think of a way to bring up that finger and Chris was able to!

Deb... funny you should say "after" pictures... Through all the hard work I've done on my garden, I've come to realize that their never is an "after" for me... It's always "during" pictures. As many pictures as I take of mine, I'm always thinking about what else needs to be done!!

Then of course.. there are always great ways to frame shots to make it apear as though that shot is an 'after'! :)

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Chris that is so funny.

Susan that is really pretty.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

OK, here's same corner broken in pieces so it's more close up.

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

BTW Susan, very good picture! And what a lovely lillies.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Next to this

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

These were taken a week ago, so they're little bit fuller now, except for the 2 Asiatic Lillies they have lost their blooms (now what???) and I am loosing a Caladium Gingerland (perhaps too much sun in afternoon?)

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Another angle

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey, and look at this one. This is the 4 o'clock I got from Azalea. I don't know which timezone it is on but this pict. was taken at 0900 this morning!!!!

Thumbnail by TulipLady

Wow, thats alot of work acomplished! Great pictures, it is going to fill in beautiful!
The Gerbera Daisy you have marked as an annual, will most likely be perennial, mine are.

Chris

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Mine also.
That is a lot of work but I know you must be proud. When it fills in you will be the talk of your neighborhood.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I love the Gerbera's -what do I do to keep them? Just cut them down before winter and cover with mulch? I love the bright colors, now that I have a soaker hose around that bed it all seem to do well, except the Caladium.
Win some loose some I guess. I bought a plant at Lowe's 2 weeks ago I didn;t know what it was just immediately liked the shape. It looked like close to dying, look: after 1 week

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

And this was day before yesterday. Yippee!
Turns out Ecrane3 knew this plant, Duranta "Sapphire Showers". Needs to stay moist though, not very handy for drought but I rearranged the soaker hose some so every morning it gets a 5 minute soak plus what "runs down" from the slope.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2007 10:11 PM

Thumbnail by TulipLady

I dont do anything to my Gerbera. They die, I leave everything on the ground, and clean it up in early spring.

My yard is kinda..."only the strong survive". If it needs to be pampered, it needs to live somewhere else.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Mine also. It will just die back on its own. I don't mulch mine but they aren't on the north side of the house.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Cody, everything is looking great! I hope you are healing okay. Falling on pavement is very hard on your body, so listen to the aches and pains and be sure that is all that you hurt. You don't want a back problem raising it's ugly head. Or a shoulder either...bless your heart...that is just awful!

Jim, how is Bobby doing? I was thinking about you today, I walked by the Ginger you gave me...lol Wondering how you were doing.

I have several plants I got at the co-op that just died on me...it made me so sad...but they couldn't take the heat, and I wouldn't keep them watered with our limits the way they are...I just hate loosing something like that though...how are yours doing, guys/gals?

I had a bed or Iris that didn't bloom much this year, been in the same spot for seven years, lol....so I had to bite the bullet and dig them out and replenish the soil...what a job! I am exasted. Started this morning, and didn't "finish" (if there is such a thing) till almost nine o'clock tonight...but I put in the Iris I got in trades too, so it should be great next year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.