Mystery Plant ID, I thought it was cucumber

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

This plant is a volunteer near the spot I planted cucumbers--which is what I thought it was until it bloomed. I figured I just droped a couple of seeds (there are two plants together). Once it bloomed I became more suspicious, since I'd expected the flowers to be yellow, and not quite so tightly clustered.

After searching the plant files and the Internet, I couldn't find any cucurbits that have pink blossoms. Is this even a vegetable? I guess I'll have a better idea once it starts forming some sort of fruiting body.

As you can see from the flower part of the image, the leaves and stems have short hairs. The blossoms are about 1-inch across, and 1-1/2 inches deep. The leaves are large, varying from 4-8 inches. (I'm embarassed by the grassiness...I hurt my back and I haven't been able to hoe. I'm planning on buying a small cultivator today--cheaper than more doctor bills.)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thumbnail by dreaves
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No, does not look like any vegetable that I am familiar with. Try posting in in the plant ID forum. those folks can identify any thing.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the suggestion, I've posted there too.

Solved on the Plant ID forum: Proboscidea louisianica

Considered by some to be a noxious weed, others grow for the flowers and distinctive seed pods.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2007 6:01 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.