Planter box photos or plans?

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I've searched this forum and Googled planter boxes but can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone have photos or plans for raised planter boxes similar to this one in the photo? I've enjoyed this one for several years (bought it at an estate sale) and would like to build a pair of new ones about the same size with some decorative touches. Thanks bunches.

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet
Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

That is a lovely planter box. I'd be interested in some ideas also, so will watch this thread. You might post this same message over on the woodworking forum.

Donna

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

That is really pretty. Thanks for this thread.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Good idea, Donna. If we don't find anything we like better, we can just duplicate the one we have. It's simple in design and very sturdy.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's the new planter bench my DH made me freshly planted. Made of cedar and smells soooooo good when it gets wet. The next project I am going to have him make is a planter box like yours fleursdefouquet. Very Pretty! Been looking for one like that myself.

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Very nice, staceysmom! Bet it is gorgeous when the plants filled out. If your DH makes you a planter box like mine you may want to read suggestions from Bubba_MoCity on the other thread where I posted the same question. He had some good technical advice.

http://davesgarden.com/place/t/729619/

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That is great advice, thanks a ton. My DH is great at what he builds but is still learning. He had made me the same planter bench a couple of years ago but made it out of the wrong wood and the poor thing didn't do too well. This last one he made out of cedar. Will pass on the advice from Bubba. I really like your planter and want hubby to make one for me!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I've been without internet service for over a week - boy, didn't realize how dependent I am on using the internet to get things done! Good luck, staceysmom. Hope you enjoy your planter box!

My husband built me some planter boxes the other day out of house siding and cedar 1x2s.
(These are some of my poor, neglected mums that 1 of the boxes was built for.)

He made a rectangle the size of the box he wanted to build, he placed itabout 2"up from the bottom of the siding pieces and used it to nail/guerrilla glue the siding to. He then built another rectangle out of cedar and used it as a top rim.

To keep the whole thing up off the ground he put a cedar strip on the bottom edge at each end.

Finally, he drilled drain holes, painted the whole thing with 2 coats of oil-based enamel and put in rope handles on each end to make moving it super easy.

The inside dimensions are 47" x 10" x 8.625" deep.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2007 2:01 AM

Thumbnail by

This is an empty version.

We talked about making them out of Hardy board but couldn't figure out what we considered a viable skeleton and fastener system for it.

Thumbnail by
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

dstartz,

Your husband is one smart guy! Those are very attractive planter boxes. The rope handle is a great idea.

Debra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.