Odd question, unsure where to ask...Re: Clay soil

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

I was just thinking the other day about how much
clay soil we have in our area. Naturally, my oddball mind
wandered to thinking about separating it and making something
with it.

Could someone point the way toward finding information
about such an idea? I'm certain there must be something out
there, but what on earth would one call such a procedure?

:-) KM

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Native Americans would be good to consult on that! :)

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Sure would.

If only one was handy for my question. ;-)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Clay is the best soil if it could drain. Therefore help it drain by adding 3 to 5 parts of compost, wood chips, sawdust/manure, etc to make it the most productive soil in the world. Many available micro nutrients and plant needs waiting to not be concrete. I have battled successfully the clay and didn't have to make pottery. LOL

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Wuvie, are you wanting to use your clay soil for pottery etc?

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi GardenM,

Yes, the clay is not a problem with regard to our garden and such,
I just keep finding sections of the yard with quite a bit of clay, and
thought instead of hurling a heap over the fence, I might be able to
make something out of it, just for fun.

Even if it is a small amount, I just thought it would be fun to make
a little oddnaught out of the clay. Just a little creative fun, the clay is not a
grand problem.

:-) KM

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Ya know, there was a booth at the Cincinnati Flower Show that sold little balls of clay for putting on top of the soil in plant pots to keep moisture in. And then there's the idea of putting seeds in them:

http://www.tve.org/ho/doc.cfm?aid=1401&lang=English

http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/products/wildflowers.html

This message was edited Jun 3, 2007 12:02 AM

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Wuvie,

All clay had to come from the ground somewhere, once upon a time. I asked someone about this a very long time ago and can barely remember the answer, but what I do remember is something like this. Basically, all clay is comprised of clay with various minerals, etc and to some degree other soil components. Each composition behaves differently, so to make something from it and fire it into a permanent "something" is unpredictable if you don't know how your particular clay "body" behaves when heated. I believe that commercial clay has been refined and blended and tested to behave predictably. I think that "raw" clay may not be as pliable and amendable for creation as commercial-at least my local clay is rather stiff stuff.

What I would do is find a local potter or ceramics supply store and ask them....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.