Dividing Heucheras?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Are there any special guidelines in dividing heucheras? Snow Angel looked great last year. This year it looks ragged and ratty with several large clumps. I'm thinking dividing it might help. Is there a certain time that this needs to be done? Should I lift the whole plant and gently ease the sections apart or are there other techniques that work well?

thanks,
Ann

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Ann, I divided up a Heuchera Regina last year in September. She was brand new for me but was a good size and since I wanted to "make more" I cut her 3 ways. I planted all three divisions and then ex-MIL came over and wanted one of the divisions. My two are doing well as is hers.
I took pictures of the whole process, step by step, if you want me to post them. Right now I'm at work, and the pics are on my home computer. Can do tonight. I even have a pic with my knife and where I cut.
I don't think I'd do it in the dreadful heat spells.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Erynne, I would love to see your "how to" too. I have several that have outgrown their spaces but if I could just divide them and put half or so back it'd be a win-win for me.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yes, Erynne. Please post them.

Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ann,
I would think like a hosta that if you got some crown and roots they should do fine.

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I would be interested in seeing your how-to pictures, too, Erynne.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I NEED to see how-to pictures...LOL

Susan
=^..^=

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,, ;o}

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Ok gals, bare with me. I'm still at work .....been here since 7am and it's now after 9pm. I expect at this point not to get out of this hole (I'm grumpy) til after 11pm now. As soon as I get home, I will put those pics up.......I expect I'll be wired after work and it will be a nice way to wind down.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I can wait till tomorrow. Thunder storms are rolling in and I'm shutting down the computer shortly.

Ann

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Here is Heuchera 'Regina' that I decided to divide. And I know, I know....what a nice big Heuchera....what the heck was I thinking? Anyway, I divided it three ways and this year they are a pretty good size already.

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Next I dug her up and shook off a fair bit of soil. I guess you could totally hose the roots clean but it didn't occur to me at the time and my Heuch was fine.

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Now, if you look closely, you can see two places in which to make a good cut resulting in three divisions. My knife is angled diagonally in the direction where I cut first. I don't have a pic of the second cut (duh on me) .....oh wait, let me try paint.....

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Ok, maybe this is better.
Honestly, this is pretty much the same as with Hostas as Kelly said.

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Here's what it looks like after the cut....note I got some roots with some crown.

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Division up close:

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Another shot upright:

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

This how deep I then planted each division (are you bored to tears yet?):

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

And here is the happy trio or maybe slightly unhappy at the time ;p

This message was edited Jun 1, 2007 12:24 AM

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

This is a special mention. I somehow cut these pieces off that you see. I ended up planting the one on the left near my Jap Maple and this year I got me a little heuchera Regina growing.....so technically, I got four out of the deal.
If I have an opportunity this coming weekend, I will snap pics of them as they are now.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Erynne

This message was edited Jun 1, 2007 12:30 AM

Thumbnail by Erynne
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Erynne, that is VERY helpful. So, my project for tomorrow.........
Thank you.

OK, why didn't you plant the one on the right? I bet it would have grown too.

When I received Black Bird from Eminence, it was a big dead middle with four or five small sprouts coming off of it. I cut them off and got small pieces of root, not much. I then dipped them in rooting hormone. They seem to be doing 'OK'.....do you think that was a good idea (the hormone) or not?

Susan
=^..^=

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Your welcome Katy!

Lol, you're right Susan, it probably would've grown ....I don't doubt it for a minute, except that I *lost* that piece at the time in the lawn. I was on my hands and knees thinking it couldn't have gone too far but I never did find it.

I honestly don't know much about using rooting hormone as I never have had the need yet. Are you getting any new growth on top?

Tks,
Erynne

Yeah, it looks like it is putting out new baby leaves. So I think they are OK.

Susan
=^..^=

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

New baby leaves are GOOD!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Erynne,

Thanks from me too. That was great!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Looks good. Thanks Erynne. If the rain holds off enough today, I'll divide mine.

Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Erynne,
Nice job and pics.

Susan,
Glad to hear they are doing well.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Your welcome and thanks ladies. I took those pics last year because if the whole job was successful, I wanted to be able to remember what I did. My brain is too full when it comes to gardening and I forget alot of stuff. Like today, my clematis opened up and I was sure that it was supposed to be Bees Jubilee on the one side of the arbor.......jokes on me....it was Snow Queen, so Bees Jubilee must be on the other side.....sheesh!

If you use this pic as a reference of sorts:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3560223

.....the Regina division on the left now looks like this (as of this morning)

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

and here is the one on the right as of today. I transplanted her recently because I'm re-doing my gardens. The Regina in the middle lives at my ex-MIL's house and looks pretty much like the others.

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

and here's that little one living underneath my jap maple, grown from that piece of root. All this growth is brand new as of this year. I really have to move this little gaffer as she gets zero sun, which is obvious because of it's lack of colour.

Thumbnail by Erynne
Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

You all have a good day and a great weekend. I'm taking this day off work and going to play in the garden!!! Yippee!

Thumbnail by Erynne
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Erynne,
Have fun playing in the gardens,,,,,awwww, I wanna play in the gardens today.Think it will work if I put a sign up that says "come find me in the garden",,,,or,,,,"use what you need and if you need help come find me"

Kelly

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Got my little one divided this morning. We'll see how it does. Anyone know - do you use the same procedure for Astilbe? I need to divide them too.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ann,
I would think it would be the same for all perennials.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Oh Wow!!!!! Thanks for the pics!!!! I really needed to see these for a couple I just got. I should end up with about 6 H. Sashay and 4 H. Peppermint Spice!! .........If I don't kill em!! LOL

Debbie

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Kelly, if you put up a sign like that at your business, your customers would be walking with self-inflicted mohawks! ;p

You're welcome Debbie and hoped it worked out for you Ann....how are the heuchs doing, btw?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Erynne,
LOL,,,I suppose they would

(Zone 4a)

Erynne,

What type lable are you using on the plant marker?

Is is weather-proof?

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Hi taramark,
I use the Dymo Letratag labeller with the plastic labels of the same brand. The labels you see came through the winter completely intact with no fading or falling off. Actually, they are hard to get off, lol. I plan to change all my labels to these ones since my other labelling attempt failed. Just got to get more label refills for the labeller from Staples.

Erynne

edited to add.....in the product description it says they are weatherproof and wipeable.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2007 11:01 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.