Hostas

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

The Hosta doesn't seem to mind the drought any. They are looking very well.
This is unforgettable. I posted her on the Hosta forum and decided to post her here also. I am new to the Ga forum.

Thumbnail by weeding

great expectation

Thumbnail by weeding

guacamole

Thumbnail by weeding

jewel of the nile

Thumbnail by weeding
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Love your hostas, Cynthia - and thank you for naming them (especially like Jewel of the Nile and Unforgettable). I've really only "caught on" to their charm since being in Georgia and am now collecting as many varieties as I can economically do (ie: through sales or divisions of friends). I agree - they don't seem to have suffered in the drought. I may post some photos later.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous hosta. Previous owner of our house planted some, but the deer have cropped them unmercifully. We are trying to grow a few of each variety in pots, but they just don't seem to thrive there. Anybody got expertise at growing hosta in pots? Sheila

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

HI Cindy, good to see you on the Ga. forum. Pretty hostas, but all your plants are always pretty.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Cindy! :)

Your hostas are beautiful, especially 'unforgettable.'

Cordele, GA

Those are lovely. I am trying to acquire the mini hostas now, but those could change my mind.

Beth

Hi Garden Swap Buds! Shelia, all of my Hostas are in pots. I'm afraid I don't have the energy to amend the clay soil around my property. I grow them all in full shade. Some of them need pretty large pots, so I move up to the size as needed.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I noticed that my Mouse Ear Mini has a scape coming out on it. It really is still small. I will post pictures when it blooms.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

beautiful hostas! thanks for posting here as i dont visit the hosta forum. that is one i need to look at. my step mom gave me a hosta tonight. i thanked her and she said no no dont say that its an old wifes tale that you never thank anyone for giving you a plant you just return the favor and give them some of a plant you have. has anyone ever heard this???

kelly

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Well I have heard that all my life also.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

i guess its a good idea anyway you receive you give them something in return : ) nice way to grow each of your plant collections. good to hear someone else has heard this.

kelly

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Cindy,
Lovely Hosta.. Mine are doing well through the lack of rain too.. but I have hit them with the hose to be honest :) I have guacamole too. :) I need to take some pics of my hosta area :)

Susan

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Very pretty,, I have a few hostas that I have traded for. I have them planted in the ground and the deer have eaten some, but so far only the older ones and my daylily buds..sigh,,, but sooo thankful that right now I can hear rain falling again. I think it was my dear Grandma that said don't say "thank you" for a plant that someone gives.. Now, I love to trade, so guess that is a good saying.
Elaine

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Welcome Cynthia!
Great looking Hosta. I love 'Unforgetable', it is now #14 on the gotta get list! I gave myself a limit of 20, uh-oh getting close.
The deer had 1 sunflower head and half of my Guacamole Hosta for breakfast. They ate the whole thing last time, it just started to look good again. Wonder why they keep picking Guacamole?

chris

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe you could put some hot sauce on it and see if they still like the Guacamole :)

Sorry.. couldn't resist Chris. ;)

I've had some bunnies eating things in my garden...... hmmm bunny stew... :(

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Yeah my hostas are being eaten by something. Either rabbits or squirrels. I have a lot of squirrels and have seen rabbits around also. I don't know if squirrels would eat hostas or not. Probably would they eat everything else.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL, Susan,
If they keep eating Guacamole, I am going to start eating alot of venison!
chris

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

:)!

Jim.. you gonna be eating some squirrel stew ;) ?

Susan

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

YUK,,, even though my dear old dad hunted them when I was little (many years ago) Now I will worry (not) about my Guacamole while I am down here fishing... Just really praying that we get rain while I'm gone..
Elaine

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

ohhh, we got some much needed rain yesteraday. Thank Goodness.. Hope it starts a trend. The morning weather guy said we had a "risk" of afternoon showers and I thought.. it's ceratinly not a "risk" during a drought, it's a welcome sight!!

Jim, are slugs eating your hosta? Every single egg shell we eat here gets put back into the carton cracked.. When the carton is finished, I take all the shells and put them in a plastic bag and crush them with my foot.. and shoe :) I then take all the sharp crushed egg shells and spread them around all my hosta. It acts like millions of little razor blades to their bodies and they prefer not to crawl over it and wont eat your hosta. :) Now.. for bunnies, deer and squirrels... no answers for that here!
:)
Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I really think it might be a rabbit. I think slugs like water and we haven't seen any. Now I could enjoy some good rabbit stew.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

We have a bunny problem at my house too. Kenny says he jumped another one a couple of days ago. One was as big as our dog. He said, now I know what is eating your hosta!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.