What's up with this?

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Last fall I planted 2 Crystal Fountains along the same fence. When they bloomed they were this strange color, otherwise they looked really healthy. I put composted maneur around them when they were breaking ground this spring. Other than that I didn't fertilize, spray or do anything else to them. Any idea why the strange color?

Edited to add: There is quite a bit of pink in it that doesn't really show up on the pictures.

This message was edited May 31, 2007 8:22 AM

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Here is an entire plant.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Its very common that the first blooms on a newly planted baby clematis won't be the correct color,shape or size..when your clematis Matures it'll look like all the rest..I planted clematis "Crystal Fountain" last fall and look how my blooms looked this past Spring..Jeanne

This message was edited May 31, 2007 8:31 AM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks Jeanne. Never knew that about clems - I learn so much from all of you here. I won't worry about these then :)

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, it may not be the official color of that cultivar, but I think it's really cool! Lots of neat subtle color variations.

I want a crystal fountain. I don't have enough places to put all the clems I want! Wah!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.