Sheri...your wierd fruit....

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I started a new thread because I am so confused these days .... I need BIG numbers and simple instructions.... yuk yuk...

If your fruit tree blooms a beautiful magenta/brilliant pink on the trunk and the fruit is ...well...underwhelming in flavor but very crisp....

It is called here a Mountain Apple..or...Syzygium malaccense.

Does this help?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I will look those up....don't know about the fruit other than the pic...didn't try any - they were in a private yard. I did notice that the immature fruits look like lychees - that is what I thought they were until I saw the larger ones on the tree. The larger ones were about the size of a small pear, yes, very pink/magenta. Ever try one?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yes...we have two trees.... I was/am totally UNDERwhelmed. Crisp, yes...sweet, maybe, flavorful, no. Rather bland... The tree is gorgeous when it blooms, tho. Will try to get some photos.

Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info - I hate wondering about something i think I should know. And its always fun to find something you haven't seen before. Have a good day!

Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here on the petals on the Monstera leaf under it....

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

And here they are on some small Neos (bromiliads) growing on the trunk...YES...totally buried!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Wow - are those just dropped petals? And they keep that color???? I sure hope that's not a problem for you because its beautiful!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I was just re-reading some posts, and I noticed that Lily said Durian fruits were very large - like jackfruit. There was this thing called a "sour sop" on Pohnpei....wish I had thought to take a picture. The fruit was used in drinks - which I thought tasted mostly like pineapple, but others were saying tasted like green onions. It was used in a dessert ice/sorbet, that several people liked very much, but I didn't taste it. Cowboy took me back into the kitchen and I saw one cut open....It was about the size of a small watermelon, but very green and dangerous looking on the outside....white fruit that had a consistency between a pineapple and a peach....small black seeds in a few lines down the middle. Does this sound familiar to anyone....Carol, John? Lily?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

We grow Jackfruit...they get HUGE!!! I don't much care for the consistency of the flesh...if I were starving I might make a smoothie out of it!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay - since you know durani and jackfruit....do you think my description might fit one of them? I'm gonna google "sour sop" and see what I can find. Carol - Go lay down! That's an order!!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

...here I am...

Soursop is different from both of them... The Soursop I know has a thinner skin, is smaller and delicious!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well okay then! I learn something new everyday on this site. Thanks for the info!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.