What could it be?

Natural Bridge, VA

Hi all, This past weekend I ran a yard sale of my sister's estate. She had a lot of collectibles and things went well. One item had us baffled, and maybe someone can recognize its purpose by my description.
It was the size and shape of a medium pair of scissors. Made of a lightweight metal and had some brass (I believe) coating. Underneath the blades on one side was a small metal box about half the size of a matchbox. On the other blade was a metal piece that fit into the box when scissors closed, like a crusher.
This would've been the perfect item for Country Living's "what is it?" antiques column.
Oh, and once we sold it for 50cents (the lady put it on our table while she continued looking) we were musing over it's function and someone noticed that inside the box was engraved November 24, 1865.

A potentially valuable one slipped by, but you can't catch 'em all. Anybody recognize what it might be?
thanks,
toni

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!