pond plants

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

There are so many gorgeous pond and bog plants it's hard to decide which ones are the prettiest. But I do have a favorite, it's corkscrew rush. What's your favorite?
Branka

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Gee, so many plants to choose from! Guess my favorite would be the water lily....any color will do.
Jean

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Branca; good choice I love corckscrew rush. It's one of the coolest looking plants pond or garden. I really like water clover too. I think it's the way the little clovers float and seperate on top of the water. All the aquatic plants are nice it really is hard to choose. I can't wait for warm weather so I can get out and play in my pond. It snowed again yesterday!!!!(HOW LONG UNTIL SPRING?????)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I agree...so many plants...but in the pond I would have to lilies, any color, just love em. For the bog area I would say ligularia othello, or the rocket but the othello has the striking huge and burgundy color to its leaves that is just beautiful, and would have to add cardinal lobelia, again with its burgundy color foliage and it blossoms all summer long.

I think my favourite would have to be my lotus, followed closely by Fairy Moss and night blooming water lilies. But then I adore them all, the catails, rushes, etc. and could not part with any of them!

(Zone 6a)

I love them all, except for pennywort which has invaded by backyard! I am patiently awaiting June so I can order a mosaic plant, AGAIN. I got one last summer, and watched it grow and grow, then diminish and diminish - guess the fish liked it as much as I did! :( This year, if I can get one, I'm putting it where the fish won't be able to munch on it!

Becky G.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

My favorites are water lilies, (especially tropicals) and sensitive plant. Last years sensitive plant grew to 10 ft + in length with many side shoots. I musta made a dozen trades with that plant. I tried to save it in the basement growing area, but it slowly faded away to nothing. I want Spring...

Terry

Bloomfield, IA(Zone 5a)

when you're talking about the sensitive plant is that the same as the Botswana?? So far I have overwintered it with success... (fingers crossed here so far)... I have a few seeds from it also... it has yellow flowers??

Lionlady

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Lionlad,
The plant I grew last year was (Aeschynomene fluitans) a large leaf sensitive plant with yellow flowers. I've never heard of it being called Botswana. There is a smaller ,more dainty variety named (Neptunia aquatica). Both are considered tropical and list as zone 8 hardy. I had every intention of bringing into the basement for Winter, but I procrastinated too long. I'm hoping to find a trade for this and other water plants later in the season, but if that fails, I am fortunate to have a wonderful nursery nearby that carries many rare aquatic plants.

T

Bloomfield, IA(Zone 5a)

I recieved my plant in a swap last fall.... it has been quite prolific.. I think it is the smaller leafed one as the leaves aren't what I would consider large.. I would say each leaf is about 1" in length from the stalk?? It is very strong plant (except the piece I put in with my koi.. they ate it..)but my main piece has really grown...long, so it will need cut back when spring gets here...
lionlady

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

I've never tried the sensitive plant in my pond but plan to this season. I noticed that in a pond it is usually used as a floating plant. One of the local nurseries had sensitive plant potted up as a tropical plant last season. Is this the same thing that everyone has in their ponds and can in be overwintered indoors in the winter?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Terry
which nursery are you referring to? There is a new one that is suppose to open in March, spefically nothing but ponds! It's on Rt 214 just b/4 the other big nursery, homewood I believe. I went to Valley View last year for all my oxygenators but they hadn't put out any of there others 'cause it was still kind of early, I never did make it back there, it's a bit far.
Jody

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Jody,

I was referring to Bittersweet. They are just off of 424 on the way to Homestead Gardens. You would turn right at the only traffic light between RT450 and RT214. There is a sign.
They carry a wide selection of water plants. They have free seminars and two special weekends. One dedicated to Lilies and the other lotus. I worked in the water garden dept. at Homestead all last Summer. I can't wait for the new pond store you mentioned to open. I talked with the owner last Summer and he seems really enthusiastic. There is also a wholesale/Retail Koi supplier near Annapolis. The owner's names is Grover and he has all types of fish but specializes in Israeli Koi. If your interested in fish let me know.

Branka, I think its the same plant! I float mine, but I'm sure it would do fine if potted. As I said it is a tropical and would need to be indoors in a nice warm spot to winter over in your zone.

T

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info Terry!! I just discovered Homestead last year and made a trip there but it was very late in the fall, got a bunch of 1/2 price perennials though :). Have never heard of Bittersweet, will definately have to check it out! Really can't wait for spring now, LOL.
I do love fish, but koi aren't really the answer with a small pond, :( I do have one koi that is all yellow, my husband just had to have one, he is HUGE already!
Thanks again
Jody

I have to say that my favorite is Parrots Feather. I get a kick out of it opening and closing!! (Must be the child in me)
Minnie

Schenevus, NY

someone gave me a piece of the parrots feather. I overwintered in at work(just in a plastic bowl) but the cats there love to drink out of it and i didn't notice and it dried up and died...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.