Growth rate

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
I'm new to cannas. How much growth should I be seeing in a week, generally speaking. I planted these, for instance on April 19. It seems to me that they should be bigger than this. These are President. I planted another group a few days later and they have similar growth.

(Zone 5)
Thanks

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Your bigger one on the left is bigger than mine and mine have been in the ground for close to the same amount of time. I want secrets too!!!!

Yah, NO KIDDING on the secrets Pepper! I was thinking maybe more water?

Here's the others, planted on 4/23. They have slightly less sun.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I think they spend a lot of energy initially forming roots. Once they get going, they take off. Mine are also very slow to begin with. I have some I planted several weeks ago and they have barely broken the surface.

Tammie

I water mine all the time. lol. Now it's raining all week so hopefully they will take off. I need to beat them with streams of water to knock off bugs too when it dries out.

Well Tammie, That's good to know. I guess some more patience is what is required!

Verona, WI(Zone 4a)

No need to worry Mrs. Ed. I live in Madison, WI and mine are just starting to come up. About 1 inch! They'll really shoot off in a few weeks! PATIENCE is the key to growing cannas in the upper midwest.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I felt the same way, mine seemed to stop growing after they broke ground.... but we've had about a week of hot weather and now they have really started to grow.

Most of mine are real short, but one is almost a foot tall. Weird.

Red, Boy, that is very encouraging.

Pepper, mine too, as you can see from the pix. I'll keep you informed of mine. We just got over 3 inches of rain in less than an hour! So if moisture is the problem, it won't be now!

We have been getting rain for the last several weeks. I'm suprised the others aren't taller because of that. Oh well, at least they aren't dead. lol.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Cannas like warm soil and warm air temps to really get going. Even here mine are only 2 or 3 feet tall. We've had a cool spring and a VERY rainy one here in N. Texas. Once the sun stays out and air temperatures are consistently warm, they'll take off.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

To concur with Steve, they need warmth. I know here in Denver(5b), out nights are still in the 40's and low 50's. Not canna weather. Warming in June to 90's and upper 50's -60's at night, they will launch!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

yep, here too - they really started growing after a week of 85 high/ 55 low.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

What Steve said......canna like it hot. When newly planted they're also expending a lot of energy to produce roots.

Birmingham, IA(Zone 5a)

I planted about 7 that I got at a swap the first part of May and I hadn't seen any growth so I just figured they weren't viable. But we have been having tons of rain and yesterday my DH noticed one was up about 3 inches, so maybe there is still hope for all of them. I think maybe lots of water is one of the keys to growing them?

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, yes, they love water.. some will grow in ponds! First of may, that sounds about right to start seeing some growth now. I also planted some on May 8th and many are just showing tips now or maybe an inch or 2 high. Our temps have been in the mid to high 80's a lot with some 90's and nights in the 60's and 70's. So, have faith and patience and you will be rewarded. I have learned to plant 'something' every week... no matter what it is.. just to keep me watching for something else to grow then when I remember to go back to something else... there it is! It is fun.

Tammie

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh, lookie what I found
before picture of canna about a week ago?

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

and I took this one this morning... it's a different angle (didnt know I was going to do b & A) but can you see the difference?

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop

Mine are the height of the one closet to you and the short one in the back and on the left.

Holy Cow Red! That's some good growing. There's hope for us all! ;)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

and truly, after they initially broke ground they just sat there doing nothing for a good month!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.