This Years Bounty

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I'm now using the compost pile I started late last summer. It contains last falls leaves, grass clippings, everything cut from the flower beds, household waste and least 200 lbs. of coffee grounds. I ended up with quite a big pile of dark crumbly compost. I got a hefty truckload (S-10) of well rotted manure from the inlaws (horse, pig, and goat) and unloaded it next to the compost. I was surprised to find it was only a third the size of the compost pile. I've been mixing it 3 parts compost and 1 part manure and topcoating my flower beds and mixing it in the planting holes. I have enough to cover most of my beds. I put in a lot more time and effort than usual and it was well worth it.

Photo.........Manure on the left, compost on the right and new starter pile in back left.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous! Love the cedar fence and natural landscaping (aka weeds) in the background. Do you have any problems with critters? I use chicken manure in mine and I have to make a bin to keep the dogs out because they want to eat the compost (then kiss & lick me). Joe

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Ahh yes...a sight that is only beautiful to us geeks! I had a larger than normal load of compost this spring, but it is now all used up...sob...sob. I just have two of the plastic compost bins so I have to work extra hard to produce a cubic yard of compost a year...but it sure is nice stuff!!

- Brent

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Does it count as compost if your pile never heats up? My clippings, scraps and COFFEE grinds are breaking down nicely. Just never has gotten hot. But, I have HUGE earthworms in there...

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Yep...still compost! Every once and a while I gather enough stuff when starting a new pile for it to heat up but mostly I am just adding a bit here and there so my pile never heats up. If I keep my pile moist and turn it once and a while I can make a batch of compost in about 3 months during the warm season.

- Brent

Thanks, Brent. That's exactly where I am!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Mine heated up a bit late last fall and again this spring when I turned it. the next time I checked it it had cooled down and the earthworms had moved in so I just left it sit.

early_bloomer

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

My bins get really hot - usually 160 degrees which is good at killing the weed seeds - I add a lot of scrap hay. But compost is compost and they say the best is worm castings which is a cold compost. I guess I cold compost in the garden with the heavy mulch between rows -- my poor worms getting stepped on all the time. Keeps the weeds down until it turns to dirt.

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Joe.......I've never had any problems with dogs rooting around in the compost pile. If I don't bury veggies and apples the rabbits like to visit in late fall/early winter. That's not a cedar fence, it's locust. I cut the trees on my property and split them by hand and hauled them out of the woods lashed to a wheelbarrow. I started the project last year and hoped to finish it this Spring but the bad weather and knee surgery put the kabosh on that. Here's a photo looking up through the backyard.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

EB - Wow! I'm not sure if we have locust in our woods -- I'll have check out the plant files. Is your knee better -- did the knee surgery work? My sister has a bad knee and has been avoiding surgery because the success rate isn't that high. I hope so because your beautiful yard needs you!

Would ya'll experienced composters go help LissyJ out with her compost problem? Thanks.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/729353/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.