cleaning tomato tubes

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I finally thought up a great way to really clean at least 20 gooey, slimy, dirty tomato Wall o Waters.
One at a time they went into my raised bathtub. (I have one as I'm a groomer). They each were rinsed with HOT water on the inside and outside. Rubbing them with my fingers while flat on the bumpy bathmat helped break up the goo in the insides of the bellows. Then around a 5 gallon tub they went and each tube was filled 3/4 with HOT water. Then I added one drop of a disinfectant to each bellow and scrubbed with a long dryer lint removal brush. They were then rinsed thoroughly with the "power" setting of the sprayer. With all this rough handling, and hot water, none were damaged. I was amazed how much abuse they took. Now, any diseases that might have been on the tubes has been removed. 3 pictures follow.

Thumbnail by dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

woops. never sent the other pictures!

Thumbnail by dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

and the last one.

Thumbnail by dun1kirk
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks for that info. i have never used one of them.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Where I live, in FOG country, I have to use them. I just put 3 okra and 3 pepper plants inside tubes, also. Never tried these before. So far, May has seen way more fog than sun, so the water inside hasn't even warmed up!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.