Container Renovations! (smile)

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

What a great day I had today…Did some serious container renovations and some new additions.

I’m still so new to this and about 6 months ago, started out with 3 containers. I counted them last night and now have 45!!!! It’s all good though, as here in South Fla., you really can’t expect too much out of annuals if they’re planted in the ground right now. All of mine are under my pool cage which probably cuts down the sun about 30% and there’s no restrictions on hand watering.

Planted these 3 containers today. I’ve got so many palms and wanted something soft looking, yet tropical, but not spiky! Found these pretty containers at Sam’s Club and filled them with some great looking California Elephants ear, a little Angelonia, a couple of Pink Guara in the background and some Diamond Frost in the foreground. (I’m so fickle on a week-to-week basis and Diamond frost and Angelonia are my favorites this week! Hehe) Not sure how they are going to do together, but it’s all an experiment and that’s what I love about Container Gardening.

Thank-you all, as I just get so many great idea’s here. You’ve all been very inspiring!

Thumbnail by KatG

I had 3 containers to fill -

Thumbnail by KatG

The before Picture - Just wasn't happy with the spikey palms!!!

Thumbnail by KatG
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Very pretty Kat. I love that combination.

Janet

Cousin “It!

Remember him/her from the Adams family? Well, he/she has been living in my yard for a couple of months! Hehehehe. A big overgrown pot of asparagus fern and Persian Shield.

Thumbnail by KatG

Well, I dressed her/him up today! hehe

Removed the “Crown of thorns” and added “Diamond Frost”, a couple Angelonias and some of the pink Guarna plants (what else? They’re my faves this week! Haha) It is a MONSTER plant though!!! I really think Cousin “It” might be a she! I’m thinking she’s looking fine enough to get married! LOL!

Thumbnail by KatG

This is the area I affectionately call the “Lizard Lounge”. It has a great sitting area that I originally was going to put trees into, but on the suggestion of my Landscaper, opted for container gardening. (It’s all Jessica’s fault! Haha). There really are a lot of lizards out here as well as one cute metal one on the wall!

Thumbnail by KatG

Today, I hauled and moved, and hauled and moved! Stood back and moved it all again! Changed everything around in the Lizard Lounge! Took the 3 palm planters from the Lanai and put them here. Experimenting with different heights, etc.

Thumbnail by KatG

In my lifetime, I never thought I would have such a beautiful retreat or be capable of creating something so beautiful.

A Close-up! It’s very full…but I’m loving it!

Thumbnail by KatG

I feel like pinching myself when I walk out here and see such beauty...I know that sounds overly dramatic, but I really feel that way.

Thank's again for all the great inspiration, tips and advice...

Kathy

Thumbnail by KatG

Thank-you so much Janet! It's kind of a big contrast in my yard, but I just wanted something soft and pretty. I think that once those Elephant Ears grow, it will look really good!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I think I would be walking around pinching myself if I had such a magnificent place to enjoy! Everything is picture perfect and your plant combinations are as they say "Da Bomb"!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Hey KatG!
Good to see your place again. Question. I notice the deep color in your SPVB. Do you keep it in the shade? And what are you using on it? My SPVM is a brilliant chartreuse, but it's out in the sunlight. Curious.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

KatG!
Everything is beautiful! Even cousin "It" is beautiful to me because I love persian shield and I can't find any and my Asparagus fern is down to about 3 branches because the moma cat has been using it to get away from her kittens...she is weaning them and the asparagus fern was on a stand that put her out of their reach...LOL she has nearly killed it! Here is a picture of it before she demolished it. Now picture it with just 3 or 4 branches left. :(

This message was edited May 30, 2007 8:15 PM

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Yardqueen,

I'm so sorry to hear about your asparagus fern. I have some Persian Shield. I love it also. I have to keep mine under a waybigo umbrella on the deck. I put sphagnum moss on top to keep it moist between waterings. Connie and I drove all over San Antonio looking for some of it. She finally found a small pot of it. When we got back to Beaumont, we found a nursery here in town that had it in gallon pots. I had to have me some of it. It does seem more persnickety than other plants, but I guess it's worth it to see those beautiful purple leaves. Do you know if they bloom?

Your begonia is awesome! What kind is that? What color are the flowers?

Janet

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Janet! The big one is 'Lucerna.' It has been very popular with D-ger's who have seen its picture! I have had a lot of requests for cuttings. The smaller one is 'Looking Glass.' I guess it doesn't bloom, but Lucerna blooms a sort of pinky coral...She loves it on my patio. I cut her back when I bring her in in the fall (due to room and also to keep her from getting "scraggly") and she gets huge again as soon as I put her out.

I don't think Persian shield blooms. I have not found any around here. I traded for some once but it arrived really dried out and did not root. It was in the fall or winter also and things root better in the spring or summer. I am sure they have it somewhere probably in the Mesquite or Dallas area, but that is pretty much off my beaten path.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

KatG, beautiful! My problem would be I'd never leave it!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

KatG, your house and garden are beautiful. I'm going to put curtains on my patio pillars as well and yours look great - are your rods wood? How long have you had them up?

Hey Gymgirl: That one has me baffled! My SP Vine has been out in the sun and is totally black...However, lately I'm seeing new growth that is green??? I think I did see a variety though at Home Depot that was totally green.

It's the first time I've ever planted it and I really like it, but I am constantly cutting it back as it will totally take over. Would make a fantastic ground cover!

Thank-you YardQueen:
I just love that Asparagus fern and Persian Sheild! I have 2 planters that are "Cousin It's"! Just full of it. You can't find it in a garden center around here at this time of the year, so that's why I just keep dressing mine up! haha. The fern looks like it could be cut back, but I've done it with the Persian shield and it just didn't survive. It's about 3 ft high now and I just keep planting full things under it! Guess I should be reading the propagation how-to's on this site!

Your plants look great by the way!

Thumbnail by KatG

Pheitmeyer:

Thanks for the compliment. I think they are great and when I first told people I was putting up outdoor drapes...they thought I was nuts!

The panels have been up now for about 7 months. They're made out of Sunbrella fabric, so they haven't faded, shrunk or changed since I put them up in October. Originally, I had them made to only go on the inside of the columns, but after getting them up, realized they needed to be on both sides.

The rods are made out of PVC. The panels are folded over and velcro-ed on. So easy in case I have to take them down in a bad storm or to clean...

Here's a close-up pic of the rod...

Thumbnail by KatG

Both sides are held together by a band secured by Velcro - We've had a lot of wind lately and they've stayed secured.

Thumbnail by KatG

Inside view of panels

Thumbnail by KatG
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I like that. Our columns are different so the rods will be located differently, but i'm checking with some local sources for Sunbrella fabric to see what I can do. Thx for the details!

Does anybody know how to propagate Persian Shield. I love this plant and know that I wont be able to find it for a long time around here and would like to start some new ones. I tried putting some in cuttings in water, but nothing developed. I'm so new to this, that if I sound like an idiot. I probably am!hehe.

As you can see by this photo, it's getting huge and I don't think it's going to survive too long in the summer heat that's coming! (Do you think?)

Thanks

Kathy

Thumbnail by KatG

Kat,
I've been admiring your containers!

Persian shield are super easy to propagate, especially this time of year.

I've tried several ways, and rooting them in vermiculite is definitely the quickest and easiest way that I've found.

Get a fairly shallow container, with domed lid (like you might bring home from the grocery deli)

take enough tip cuttings to fill your container. I strip the stem down to 4 leaves and the stem about 2-3 " long. Wet the vermiculite really well-extra water in there is ok too. Stick the cuttings in there-cram as many as you can get in there if you want. Put the lid on, then sit in a semi dark spot for a couple days, before bringing out into light.
seems to reduce the shock. Within 2 weeks, when you tug on the cuttings, you'll fell the resistance, caused by new roots.

I keep plenty of water in the container at all times.

since FL. is so much hotter than up here, you may want to keep these on your shady patio, instead of indoors- but I'd be careful of too much direct light, too soon.
You may even find that it's much less stressful on them to root them indoors, under lights-where it's cooler-until they get enough roots to transplant, which should be in about 3 weeks.

I find that they can wilt easily as young cuttings. Indoors, I left the lid on them, tight, for the first couple weeks. Those little leaves were so crisp, they felt like they would "make a snapping sound" if I tried to break one-so it was very evident to me how much they adore high humidity.

so far this year, off of a single stem of last years plant-I have supplied most of my friends, and the neighborhood with young plants..It was fun!

Sasha

Oh Sasha...Thank-you so much! I so really appreciate it!

Kathy

Yardqueen and Unique treasures! I have so much healthy Persian Shield, and now that Sasha has so graciously given me such great propagation instructions, I would be more than happy to send some to you.

Kathy

PS: Can I get rid of some of this Sweet Potato Vine too? It's going nuts!!!!

Thumbnail by KatG
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Kathy,

Of course you can get rid of some of your SP vine! I would love it as well as the Persian Shield. I just can't find it in the nurseries around here. Did you want me to do postage or do you want a trade?

Carol

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Kathy, luv your containers and home! Very pleasing and inviting! Can I come....lol!!
:) Donna

Carol: Just send me a D-Mail and tell me how to ship them so you receive them "alive".

Thank-you Donna! Sure...come on down! haha

I actually have been to Winnipeg a couple of times and it's not exactly the most desirable climate in the winter! I will take this extreme heat any day!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Kat, no it is not very nice at all during winter. It makes it very tough when we can get minus 40 celcius for a 3 week stretch. That's when I would luv to be able to get away where it is warmer.

You should come down in the summer, than it is very beautiful and hot. Were you in Winnipeg for work?

:) Donna

Actually Donna, one time I spent a day there as we drove from Ontario (I'm originally from Canada) on the way to Regina where my Mom came from, to visit my Grandmother. Another time, I was on a plane from BC and we had to do an emergency stop and had about 8 hours until the plane was fixed! haha.

I've also had customers from your town, rent homes with me here in Florida. It seems to be that midpoint thing...you either go West to California or East to Florida.

South Florida, FL(Zone 10a)

Ok, I am just wanting more now. You have beautiful pictures of your garden, cute dog too. Kat, you might have inspired me to add to my containers. My container plants are Palms, I have Gardenias and Hibiscus. I have not mulched the bottoms yet, but might fill in with some annuals. Now to figure out a trip to the Nursery...hmm
Buggy

Hey Buggy! (love your name!) hahaha

Thanks for the compliments! Whenever I think I've reached my quota...nope! There is always room for 1 more! I started out about 6 months ago with 3 potted palms - I'm up to about 65 various containers right now. I'm so over, what over people think and just happen to LOVE my Jungle! hehe

I have a bunch of palms in containers and just love tucking some annuals at the bases! The high growing or full species like Persian Shield, Coleus, Sweet Potato Vine, that cover the trunks are really cool. There really are some different plants out there these days that I've been trying (Angelonia, Diamond frost, moss rose, that have been doing amazing in the heat!)

Here's a pic of my Jungle this morning...

Kathy

Thumbnail by KatG

I had to kind of laugh this morning as I bought a ton of plants this weekend and took some photo's of my new purchases to send to a friend (who is a little on the religious side!)

I do have a little St. Francis statue in my garden (patron saint of animals and plants). The plant I was taking the pic of was "Devils Backbone". After I looked at the pic I sent, I'm like...is that St. Francis in the background? She caught it...but I pointed out that St. Francis looks after ALL plants! hahaha

Thumbnail by KatG

Now Buggy...if you really think you have no space!

This stackable container I came upon is so cool...you can plant 12 pots in the room you would normally plant 3! hahaha

Thumbnail by KatG

Double post. Deleted!

This message was edited Jun 12, 2007 11:05 PM

South Florida, FL(Zone 10a)

Kat,
I have space, so that is not the problem, the problem is $$$..lol. :)) Go figure!
I like the stackable container idea though.
I will be doing some container gardening sometime this week. I need to get some annuals , I (prefer) perrenials to start filling in my containers. I'm thinking something sort of like a vine? Maybe pothos? I have two palms in containers that are in in the front of my house that will be the first to get a makeover. I will post a picture when I get it done. This is fun.

Buggy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.