What's wrong with this Digitalis?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Foxgloves are some of my fav. vertical accent plants. But occassionally I'll see one or two behave(s) this way. Was wondering if there is something running amock with this species, or just lack of water?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The stalk is strangly flatten, and somewhat dwraft. Leaves all appear healthy otherwise....

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

It looks to me it was suppose to be two blooms, turned out to be Siamese tweens, what do you think?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Maria,
Interesting theory, I was more concerned if it was affected by some kind of virus? Any taker? If you recall with purple cone flowers....some virus causes the blosoms to be deformed and looking rather bazziare.
Kim

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

It looks like your Foxglove is fasciated. Wow, that's kinda neat in a weird way. I've heard of it happening in lilies but I didn't know it could happen in Digitalis too. I don't know what causes this so hopefully someone else might.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think it can happen sometimes randomly for no reason, or I think a bit of overspray of herbicide can sometimes do it too. I'm not sure if there might be other things that can make it happen too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

ecrane3,
I rarely pull out the big gun (herbicide/insecticide). This one is growing in a large pot. Being by the water body. For the health of the fish below, I don't spray any of these planting at all.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

With some plants it will happen all on its own too

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sometimes a rapid change in the weather at a certain point of growth can cause the fasciation. You should have a very interesting bloom. I had a number of gaillardia that did that last year and a few lilies and daylilies. I find it very interesting to see how the blooms turn out.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sometimes a rapid change in the weather at a certain point of growth can cause the fasciation. You should have a very interesting bloom. I had a number of gaillardia that did that last year and a few lilies and daylilies. I find it very interesting to see how the blooms turn out. Here is a photo of a lily that Moby had last year that was fasciated.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2389265

Susan

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How interesting! Though, I couldn't see Moby's Lilies fasciation very clearly in the pic. I'll ask her to come and help explain this phenominom. If it's due to great fluctuation of temp. that would explain it. This spring the temp. fluctuated wildly, then there was that late freeze we experienced.
Thank you everyone.
Kim

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Lily - do you live near a nuclear power plant? :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Geez, girlfriend! You made me nervous!!!! LOL.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is one good link that shows many photos.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/index.html#http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/fascia.html

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

lincolnitess,
Thank you so much for the link. It's greatly appreciated.
Kim

(Zone 5a)

Does the fasciation occur again in the same plant the following year if it is the type that dies back?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

It's normal the next year.

Lily-love, the reason you can't see the fasciation is because that was just 1 stem covered with all those blooms. Had 2 of these and 5 normal stems ~ at the end of the season this monsterous bulbs split in to 8 smaller bulbs.

The stem was 1/16'' thick and 1-7/8 wide. I dissected the stem after blooming and it looked like this

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And I'd like to know why you guys didn't alert me to this sooner? Hmm? You know I love weird stuff! LOL

Take lots of pics of your Dig. at it develops. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Moby;
Just for you I would (take pics.). lol. I was tempted to pull it out of the container and start fresh planting this morning. Maria, come to show your theory works, ecrane3 too, thanks for sharing the info. Alwaysweeding; Digitalis is biennual, this is its second and final year. According to the info. provided by the experts in plant's fasciation, is probably due to bacterial infection. So my hypothesis was "virus", came pretty close. I've seen these in previous years among flower bed planting, no ill-effects abserved with neighboring plants. At least we've got that much. Thanks goodness.
Kim

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've had Dig. not completely die back over winter and bloom again the next year. Just think of all the seed that you can get out of that head!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Digitalis is perennial except D. purpurea and ferruginea

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ok, Moby,
Here it's this morning

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ok, there goes again, of knowing your plants. Whether it's species, or hybrids. Thanks Claypa. Only thing is, sometimes, plant vendors don't advertise which is which. The most they'll do is whether or not it's perennuals or not. Named cultivars take a whole new meaning, at least to me now.
Kim

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Cool.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe my rudbeckiea hirta went to the same place as your digitalis. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh wow! mqiq, how does the bloom turn out?
Kim

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Let's see more of that, Mike!

The blooms are 2-3 weeks away, but the state of georgia, has been under a severe drought, and I have a bored well, and don't like to chance watering.I'll keep posted the out come, on the blooming.The blooms may be double, or who knows what.I do know that the stem is becomming bow shaped, but still growing.

Thumbnail by mqiq77
(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture from the Hosta Library for Ivory Necklace. The flower stalk jumped out at me.

Thumbnail by AlwaysWeeding
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My goodness, it happens to even Hosta? (silly question!). How very interesting.

Two years ago, I had never even heard of this hapening, to any plant, things really change.Mike

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mike,
I 1st had a couple of Foxgloves that showed this occurrence, in 2001. See more about it on the link above. (provided by lincolnitess). Thanks again, Susan.
Kim

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

update; on foxglove....

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous! Can hardly wait to see it with the top bloomed out too.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

It's happened to me before! :)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/430544/

Voluntown, CT

The phenomena called 'fasciation' occurs when multiple buds fuse together and form a flattened stem structure. I have added a picture of a buttercup found in my horse lot this spring (2011). Here is a link that adds a little more information: http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/pow/fasciated_plants.htm

Usually, fasciation is a somatic event (in vegetative cells), not a genetic mutation that will be inherited through seeds.

Thumbnail by patienceplus
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I had a fasciated dandelion last month. I've seen it for years and it's very random and can happen to any plant. I always thought it was similar to co-joined twins but maybe I'm way off on that. lol

Thumbnail by kooger
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

other side...

Thumbnail by kooger
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Maybe it's something in your Wisconsin water... ;)
http://cubits.org/liliesforum/thread/view/56397/

I'm with you, Kooger, as I've always thought of them as co-joined twins (or sextuplets??), just an 'oops' of nature. Whether or not something causes it is still up for debate.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I doubt anything causes it. There's mutants in nature all the time, animal and plant. If it's in the WI water, it's in ON and IA water also cuz I've seen them both places in my 5+ decades of life. I walked the fields with my head down, always wanted to see the plants. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.