floppy cucumber

Brainerd, MN

I have a cucumber from seed I planted in a 20 galllon tub which was doing OK (about 8 inches now) but it seems to be weak (probably from recent persistent winds) at the point right where it comes out of the soil and is kind of sloppy. At first I thought the stem was broken but it's NOT. The plant is not totally bowed over but it's very flooppy at the point where it comes out of the soil.

Is it best to cover the base with more soil to add support, break it off entirely (will it regrow) or give up and start over with a plant from the nursery?

Also, out of curiosity, when a plant suffers a severve bend or cut in a support area, does it grow new cells to mend itself (like animal flesh will do) or not?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

If it were me I'd add come compost or potting mix to reinforce it. You could also add a pole to tie it to and give it additional support that way as well (even if you will let it trail that would give the lower stem something to hang on to in the winds).

You could also buy another cucumber plant and start another tub. You can't have too many cucumbers.... (no wait, yes you can!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.