transplanting onions

Brainerd, MN

Almost all of the gardening I do is in containers but I have some Vadarlis onions I've planted in a long raised bed at the back of the house. They seem to be doing OK but now I've decided I want to plant Nasturtiums there and place the onions further down the bed. I believe onions like lots of water and richer soil, but Nasturtiums like much dryer, poor soil - so they aren't going to get along well planted near each other. How likely will the onions survive a transplant, especially if I try and remove and replant them keeping as much of the original soil around them as I can?

Also, I don't think they will develop into large onions because of our seasons here (zone 3b) but I'm hoping to use them in salads, like bunching onions, over the summer. Will Vadarlis onions work in that way or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any helpyou can give.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

How far along are they in their growth? If they are still looking like "green onions" and haven't began bulbing up yet then you should be fine moving them. (Keep in mind you're not gonna get big bulbs from them anyway as Vidalias are a short day onion and usually grown in the South.)

Shoe

Brainerd, MN

I planted them about three weeks ago. The shoots seemed to have grown a bit and gotten a bit greener. I haven't dug one up to see what the bulb looks like but if I understand you correctly, by "bulbing up" you mean that if the bulbs haven't gotten very large, I shoudl be OK moving them. (??) I realize they won't develop into large onions because of the time frame -- I just want them to be usable like a buynching onion.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep...you understand correctly, Michaelangelo. From what you say I think they'll be fine to move, gently. Onions (being in the lily family) are very forgiving.

Let us know how things go for you.

Shoe

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Shoe,
Would you consider the 1015 Y onion a Vidalia type onion? I raised them very nicely a couple years ago up here.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy, Indy!

The "Vidalia" onions are the Granex variety. However, 1015Y is a great onion that is very sweet and a great competitor with the Vidalia/Granex types. It's also a great bulbing onion (according to Dixondale Farms, one of my most-admired onion suppliers) that grows great from Texas and as far north as Ohio. (Wouldn't you fit in there, too?)

I grew them here the year before last and loved them! That one is a keeper!

Shoe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.