Iris problem

Berkeley Springs, WV

Can anyone please help identify the possible culprit affecting this iris? We've looked in a Ortho book and believe, from that reference, that it might be some type of a fungus, however, only specific plants are affected with others not affected at all. The rhisomes are big and healthy. We've spotted some type of beetle on a nearby rose, but haven't located any on this iris. If the fungus is, indeed, the problem, must we really dig up the plants and burn them? Will some type of fungicide help or, perhaps, cutting the foliage off and seeing if that makes any kind of difference? Somebody - please help me!

SIncere thanks,

A Stead

Thumbnail by astead2
Gold Hill, OR(Zone 7a)

What a nasty thing to happen to your Iris!!
Did you have a very wet spring? It is possible that it is a type of rust, not positive, but sometimes when it is really wet in the early spring and the Iris are crowed they will get rust and the leaves just wither. I put something with sulpher in it on mine when they did this years ago, and they came back the next year just fine. You should burn the leaves with the fungus on it. Iris can take a lot, even having the rhizome chewed on by rodents.

Hope you find out the problem ....

DebiV

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.