Clematis Wilt

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I planted out 9 gallon sized clematis last fall and this spring. One from last year grew beautifully and developed two buds the size of a small fist. It was "Duchess of Edinbrugh"

About a week ago, the leaves on one of the vine got limp. I cut it off and soon the other vines got limp leaves also. We have had a week or so of hot, dry weather with temps in the 90's and no rain - although I do water the vines religiously.

I looked up clematis wilt on the web and today cut the vines back to the ground and sprayed the stems and root area with Daconal - an antifungal and anti bacterial spray I also use on tomatoes.

From what I read, clematis wilt can be spread to other plants. These vines are about 5-6 ft. apart.
Will my "Duchess" plant die? Will the other clematis which are blooming beautifully die?

Anyone out there with experience with clematis wilt?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've had wilt on one plant three feet from another without affecting another vine. I did have one place where every clematis I tried wilted but then put in one that is less prone to wilt. I've had quite a few wilt and only one die on me though. Hang in there and hopefully your Duchess will come back. If it doesn't come back then I recommend you replace it with a viticella which will not likely wilt.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Clematis wilt doesn't look nice, but it shouldn't kill your vine, if planted properly. Clematis Wilt happens with a lot of the Group 2 cultivars. That's why Doss recommends a Viticella (Group 3) which are resistant to Clematis Wilt. The best thing is to cut it back like you have done. Use an anti-fungal spray and continue to water it. It will grow back, get stronger and thereby better able to fight off wilt as it matures. Wilting is a common problem with young immature group 2 species. It gets better with time.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Good to know it has a chance. The two small stalks that are left look 100% better today after spraying them and the crown/root area thoroughly with the anti-fungal. In fact I sprayed the base area of all of them just as a precaution.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sure hope that it recovers for you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.