BBQ ash

Can I add the ash leftover from grilling with charcoal to the compost?

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

No!!

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

As a newbie to composting I'm curious as to why not. I have put a little in my compost pile already...have I ruined it?

Not necessarly, the reason you can't use it, is it is a patrolium bi-product, that has no biodegradible, organic properities, useful for composting.Composting is the process of returning to the soil, that whitch grows out of said soil.If you make your own charcoal, from wood, that is a differant situation, but few, that do not practise black smithing rarely make their own.Mike

I was "checked" on this, buy a friend, who told me I could be in error, and I'm not one who intentionly gives out the wrong information.This debate took place over coffee this morning, and I feel much more enlightened, on the subject of carbons, and the results there of.It seems to be the opinion of the forum, that if the charcoal, as oposed to coke, from coal, is completly burned, that the ashes could be used for organic purposes, the danger being, the drippings, from the ANIMAL greeses that make the difference.So, I am not completly wrong on the diagnosis, when I say "no".Sorry for all this ranting about nothing. Mike

Mike, it's not ranting about nothing. I was wondering about the grease on the ashes. I will put the ashes in the trash. I appreciate your input.

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the clarification Mike.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.