Iris Id Please, so many unknown named Iris

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I bought this Iris from the coop here on daves last summer and it's supposed to be Brown Lasso, I don't think that's what I got. I do love the color of this Iris.

A good friend of mine thought this might be Edith Wolford, I looked it up and I think thats what this one is.

Jurassic park is a little darker, I do have Jurassic Park, but its still one fan after 3 years and has never bloomed. I moved it last year to see if it would grow for me, and it just sits there.

This message was edited May 28, 2007 7:03 AM

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Love the color on this purple Iris, any idea's on my name

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Unknown peach colored, love it.

I found the name of 3 of my Iris, I purchased them in 2001, this one is called

Iris Germanica Orange Monarch

This message was edited Jun 4, 2007 11:44 AM

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Same as above in a clump form

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Love the color on this one also, I think some of these might have came from Wandasflowers a few years back. I used the mini blind tags then and the marker wore off now I don't know who is who.

ID as Artshow

This message was edited Jun 4, 2007 11:41 AM

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Pink/purpleish color

I found the information on this Iris, purchased in 2001

Iris Germanica Pink Horizon, but I not sure if that's the correct name because mine seems so much darker pink than the ones I've seen online

This message was edited Jun 4, 2007 11:46 AM

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Love the ruffles on this lavender color Iris.

My friend also thinks this one is Beaux Arts, it looks very close to me.

This message was edited May 28, 2007 7:04 AM

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

This Iris has been blooming for 2 1/2 weeks now, and the foliage is beautiful.

I'm not sure if this is Chantilly, mine don't have the ruffles like the picture in Stoney Creek. Thanks for your help, this is a wonderful Iris, the foliage is always beautiful.

This message was edited May 28, 2007 7:09 AM

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

same as above in clump form

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Dark and beautiful, any ideas who I am

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Another unknown named Iris

Looking at one of this sites I was wondering if this could be

Dauntless
Connell,1929

Ok this could be 'Christabel' Lapham, 1934
described as; TB 34" M, Dark red bitone with yellow highlights and gold beards.

Or

'Indian Chief' Ayres, 1929
describes as; TB 35" EM , Maroon bitone. Translucent standards are wire-edged fall color. Falls are deep and velvety. Vigorous grower, will take quite a bit of shade and still bloom.

I think Wandasflowers sent these to me, maybe she will know. Thanks for all your help.

Cathy

This message was edited May 28, 2007 7:01 AM

This message was edited Jun 4, 2007 7:09 AM

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Last one, this came from my aunts house about 10 years ago. This was the only Iris I had up until about 4 years ago when I started adding a few to my gardens. Now that I've seen this year all the wonderful early color in the garden I want more. I put in a order with Shriners, I purchased all three collections of the mini's and dwarf Iris for early color in the garden, can't wait to get them in July.

Linda it looks like Honorabile to me, comparing the pictures. Now that it has a name do you want some? LOL.

Thanks,

Cathy

This message was edited Jun 4, 2007 6:58 AM

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

cb,
I am no expert but, your 11th pic (next to the last one) sure looks like my historic Indian Chief.

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

And the 8th pic looks like historic Chantilly. There is a pic of it on the Stoney Creek iris web site.

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

And this is TOTALLY a guess but I love that first one. Could it be Jurrasic Park ?

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

I just found the pic of my Indian Chief. Of coarse it's the one in the back of the pic.

Thumbnail by Willit_Grow
Gold Hill, OR(Zone 7a)

Post #3542422 Is possibly
'Christabel' Lapham, 1934
described as; TB 34" M, Dark red bitone with yellow highlights and gold beards.
I don't think it is,
'Indian Chief' Ayres, 1929
describes as; TB 35" EM , Maroon bitone. Translucent standards are wire-edged fall color. Falls are deep and velvety. Vigorous grower, will take quite a bit of shade and still bloom.

the standards of 'Indian Chief are translucent in almost any light, and from my experience it will bloom in shadier spots of the gardens where other Iris rarely bloom.

DebiV
Here is a picture of my 'Indian Chief' ,taken in late afternoon sun, this spot receives very little full sun, it's shaded most of the day, if you look very closely you will see the 'wire of color' along the very edge of the standards.

Thumbnail by Scorpioangel
Gold Hill, OR(Zone 7a)

http://www.worldiris.com and http://www.hips-roots.com are two places to check out some historic Iris pics and descriptions. I have found it helpful trying to ID some of the older Iris that are very hard to find pics of.

DebiV

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone, I did edit the posts to add the names of the unknown Iris. This is the first year I've had so many Iris blooming, seems to take me 2-3 years to get blooms, but they are sure worth the wait.

Cathy

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.worldiris.com/public_html/Frame_pages/QFix_Index_Frame.html
Here is another good link for ids

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Cathy, check the picture of Honorabile at www.hips-roots.com that I told you about. I think it is the name of the yellow/maroon from your Aunt's house!

Linda

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

cbrandenburg,

I'm providing these links from another thread - - concerning "naming Unknowns". The important information in this conversation /links may be of value to you.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3570266
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3571364
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3571451
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3572282

Thanks,
~Margie

This message was edited Jun 4, 2007 2:32 PM

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for all the links, I'm going to check them all out.

Cathy

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

your picture of Pink Horizons doesn't look at all like mine......it is a beautiful iris but yours seem to have more lavender..
I fell in love with your orange monarch and artshow

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Your picture looks like the pink horizon that I've seen online. A beautiful soft pink, I think mine was sold to me under a wrong name, but I still love the color of the iris.

Thanks for posting your picture!

Cathy

Williamsville, IL

your Dark & Beauty looks like Superstiion(Schreiner 1977)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.