Cucumber that grows like "Jack the Beanstalk" - Question

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

I have 8 Sweet Success cukes in 2 EBs. They are already growing fruit and I have so far harvested 4 cukes! (The one on the left gets the most sun or what; it is growing faster than the other ones.)

Anyway, I accidentally broke off the main branch/stalk/stem of the two plants. :-( So now, I have only 6 unbroken ones growing. I grew Sweet Success last year too and I know that Sweet Success does not branch out. In other words, the main stalk keeps on growing longer and longer (without growing any side branches).

So, my question is what will now happen to the plants that I broke the main stalk of?? Would they just wither and die? Would they miraculously start up a new main branch?? I still have 6 good ones and I'm sure that is enough for my family and friends, but I was wondering about the fate of the two broken Sweet Sucess plants....

tmm

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Hmm... No takers on this topic? Should I resort to praying? That the plant will miraculously start up a new branch??

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

Maybe you could look at it as an experiment..... :-)
Seems logical that if it got topped off it would sprout side shoots; however, you said they weren't supposed to do that - so I dunno.
I have Suyo Longs growing up a homemade bean tower, and I have to geep pruning the side shoots because they grow along the ground attracting bugs and getting in the way.

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you for your post Veggiehappy!

It sounds like you don't have to worry about breaking off any vines, but you have another thing to worry about ... BUGS!

I have seen Suyo Long at nurseries but I haven't tried it. I decided to just do Sweet Success this year because it did so well last year (it needs no pollination and is bitter free), but last year, I didn't break any vines either. Ha!

tmm

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

I love the Suyo Long cukes, but they don't have much resistance to downy mildew. At least that is my experience. They sure make a beautiful and delicious cucumber though - and they make a lot of them!!

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Only mildew problems I experienced here were with snow peas and snap peas. I guess Sweet Success doesn't have any issues except for not branching out.

tmm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.