Red Flowered Perennials

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is Lychnis coronaria Gardeners' World. It is just starting to bloom for the first time and I think it is going to be great. Not as red-red as it looks in the photos I have seen. More of a violet red, but still red. The blooms look like tiny roses. What other red perennials do you all have?

susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

In this shot, you can see all the buds yet to open.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have a lot of red daylilies. Here is Velvet Eyes, a new favorite from last year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

deleted

This message was edited May 30, 2007 12:44 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Flameburst, another red daylily.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

A mostly red Helenium. Helenium Copperlia.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've been scouring the world for a mostly red Helenium! Will you save me some seeds? Will you accept orange? Here (I hope) is a Geum, from last year! It's more spectacular this year, but the picture didn't come out.

Well, all my pictures from 2006 are in a file somewhere, but not here. Here is a red marie antoinette tulip instead.

xxx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Carrie, I'll be glad to save you some seeds. I have a feeling by this fall I should have enough that I could send you a piece for postage.

susan

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Carrie, nice color in those tuplips, but, not a tropical plant, alas!

We have a nice ginger>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pentas make a nice sub-shrub here in Humidity City

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Rangoon creeper is a rampant vine, I think it was mis-named.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I love orchids

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pelargoniums are a bit touchy, but, they are perennial for us.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hippeastrum are widely grown.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Oleander are so darn easy from z8 and south.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Bougainvilla is a mean plant, huge thorns, lovely when it flowers.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow, where does the time go? It is after 5:30 time to get off to work. Best regards.

Croton-

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I was going to post a gorgeous hippeastrum from last winter, but she said perennials. It's a perennial favorite!

xx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

And here is my favorite red flower:

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

In my garden today.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dianthus? Why aren't mine flowering yet?

xx, Carrie

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Mine flower earlier the second year. How old are yours?

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Last year I ordered a Lychnis coronaria Gardeners' World from White Flower Farm. It never bloomed but grew beautifully all season with lush foliage. It even stayed pretty much green throughout the winter, but succumbed to crown rot during the cold wet spring. Kinda reminds me of Lambs Ear.

GardenGus, beautiful red Dianthus!

This message was edited May 31, 2007 2:45 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh yeah, mine are scheduled to creep this year.

xxx, Carrie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pentas, close up.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

This is Aquilegia Tequila Sunrise, which is red and gold, according to PlantFiles.

xxx, Carrie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Cyclamen

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Kalanchoe uniflora

Weston, FL

This amaryllis is blooming in my garden today!

Thumbnail by snuzer29
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice reds, I like red(among every other color LOL)

Lincoln - I can't believe you have a helenium already. I will have an all red one later.

I do have an entry finally - coral bells.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Red (&white)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The Helenium bloom was from last year. Will be a few more months before they bloom again here. Dale, I wish we could grow Bougainvilla here. It looks beautiful in your photo.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Lincolnitess,

Looks can be deceiving, that is an evil plant with big thorns. I won't touch them in a garden situtation. Pots are OK, they stay small.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, I have seen Sahin's Early Bloomer at nurseries with buds on them already is why I thought you might have one.

Redding, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is part of the red area of my garden. I have The Dianthus 'Desmond', a couple of red morning glories (Rambler) that I am using trying to protect my Columbine Cardinal from the hot afternoon sun. It quit blooming since we are having such hot weather. Can't believe the Lupine is still blooming in this heat, though I planted them all late. Other reds are Gaillardia (Blanket Flower) 'Burgundy and Yarrow 'Paprika', some red daylilies and tall phlox. I was working on making this an all red and white, but it hasn't quite turn out right yet.

Thumbnail by Bareroots
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I have one! I have one!

I did an all red bed, but I used annuals instead of perennials, so I can't show that, but here's one with a red asiatic 1c lily and some annual poppies.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Here's a dahlia (perennial in zone 8-9-10) It was grown from seed this year from a package of 'Bishop's Children' from T&M. Dahlias are pretty quick from seed.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Here's my favorite lily called 'Morden's Butterfly'. It's really hard to get a photo of it because it's shiny red. But not bright VW Beetle scarlet-red, more smokey red. (They call it mauve-red which sounds revolting to me) It is easily 6 feet tall and is another Asiatic 1c. I want to cross it with the photo above which was a cherry-red 1c asiatic so I can have millions of of red butterflies floating through my garden.

Suzy

I got so excited thinking about the millions of red butterfly lilies I was going to have that I forgot to attach the photo. LOL!

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Beautiful lily! I love any color of lily.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.