roly-poly

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

gggrrrrrrrrr.......my garden this year seems to be over run by roly-polys. what's the best way to get them out of the garden. I'm not doing all this work just for them to feast!

Caseyville, IL(Zone 6a)

the only thing they eat in my garden are the strawberries that touch the ground, & if the poleys don't get them the slugs do.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I haven't seen the rolys eating any of my plants. Just the ants and some slugs.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

What's roly-polys? I just never heard of this word before!

Little bugs that can remind you of armadillos. I'll find a pic in Bug Files for you.

Ok, forget bugfiles. Now on to google. LOL

This message was edited May 26, 2007 7:43 PM

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Okay I get it... It call 'sow bug' as in California...

Here's a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pill_bug

Yep.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

well....they're pretty populated around my lettuce and carrots.....and they LOVED the radishes! There's also another bug that's become popular around those too....I just haven't been able to figure out what they are yet. Dang....don't remember this much trouble last year.

Take a pic of it if you can.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7b)

Has anyone come up with a good remedy for roly-poly overpopulation?? My garden is overrun with these little critters too. I've heard some people say they really aren't a pest, but I sat and watched a handful of them munching on my Dianthus "Bouquet Purple." Now the leaves are all chewed up and the poor plants look just pitiful. I don't want to use insecticide if I can avoid it, but I guess if I have to I will.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I use a season long grandular insect killer.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I think the roly polys are what is eating my hostas. I do not find any slugs but I have gazillions of roly polys & they congregate around my hostas.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

OK now I know it is the roly pollies. I saw a bunch of them on one leaf and it was all chewed up. What else would be good to kill them other than the granular insect killer, I have a huge Koi pond and I can't risk run off into the pond.

Arenzville, IL(Zone 6a)

Try putting rinds from a canalope around where they are eating your plants next morning pick up rinds with the roly poly's and discard.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

aka pill bugs

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

There are actually 2 kinds, some roll up, others don't. Sow bugs don't, Pill bugs do. Slow release granular pesticide is about the only sure way to get rid of them, but it will kill other things, too. They like damp, wet areas, and to be under rocks and mulches. Try cutting back on the watering. Do a deep watering, then let the ground dry out some if you can. Let the surface and first inch or two get dry. They hate sunshine.

Make sure you check pots with holes in them before you bring plants in before cold weather. Sit the pot up on a table outside and let it dry out. The rollys will leave.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.