Help! I need a squash expert!

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Okay, this is the story. I thought I would try starting my Zephyr squash and Tromboncino zucchini in two-inch soil blocks. I had the soil blocks in black seed-starter trays that I kept in a cold frame--open during the day, closed at night and the frame receives about 5 hours of direct sun all day, dappled during the remainder. I thought I would transplant the seedlings today--they've all sprouted--but I was really surprised to see how much root growth had taken place. I had hoped that by starting them in the blocks I'd be able to avoid any root disturbance, but that's now out of the question because the roots grew clear out of the blocks. I decided to plant them anyway, but as I was planting them I noticed there were teeny-tiny little bugs jumping off the seedlings--they are maybe the size of the period at the end of this sentence and were slightly orange in color. They could really jump too! I did notice some very miniscule damage to the leaves of the seedlings, but nothing major.

So my question is this--is any of this enough for me to pull all the seedlings out and just start over by direct seeding (I only planted half the seeds in the blocks, I save the other half in case the soil blocks didn't work out so well...)? Are these mites or aphids serious? Are they likely to damage my peppers or tomato seedlings that I'll be transplanting soon? I've googled up "squash mites" and couldn't find anything that fit their description.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If the seedlings are reasonably healthy I would go ahead and plant them out. Few insects other than striped cucumber beetles, squash vine borer, and pickle worms actually take out squash plants. I suspect based on your description that these are mites. Safers's insecticidal soap is probably your best bet. Wash them down good as you put them out. There are homemade soap solutions, BUT squash vines can be easily burned by the wrong solution, which is why I suggest Safer's. It is readily available. http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2207.htm

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Farmerdill--thank you so much! I'll see if any of my local nurseries carry the soap you mentioned. So you don't think they will suffer too much transplant shock? I'm more worried about the zucchini than the squash...

I really appreciate all your help--thank you! :D And what a beautiful picture! What kind of squash babies are they?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

farmerdill showoff. they look great.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Transplant shock is always a problem with cucurbits, which is why I reccomend direct seeding. If you can tranplant before true leaves appear, they usually do alright. That is One Ball, took me two years to grow this one. It is finicky. If you want one that really kicks out with little effort , try its prolific sister Cue Ball, It whips the older sister Eight ball.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

When transplanting curcubits, we always direct seed at the same time just so there's a backup. :)

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone--input very much appreciated. :)

Zeppy--I was thinking of doing the very same thing--I think I'll throw them in tomorrow night just as insurance. :)

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Farmerdill,

Thanks for the link. I've got squash bugs! Guess it's a good thing I bought Safer the other day. I'll be spraying tomorrow.

Karen

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Sorry to interrupt the squash thread, but how hot does it have to be to direct sow squash seeds? It's in the upper 80*F to 90*F during the days now with most of the nights in the low 50's, but some of the nights dipping into the 40's. My tomatoes are growing like weeds, but not setting fruit due to the large temp swings. Will this affect my squash, too? My primary squash will be zukes and yellow crook necks. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I direct seed all summer squash, about a week before my last frost date. For me with an April 15 last average frost date, that means the first week or so of April. You typically direct seed squash before you transplant tomatoes.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Some of my tomatoes went in end of April, knowing full well it could still SNOW in May - and it DID! I think we are safely away from snow and frost now, so I will try seeding some this weekend. Thanks!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Good read!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.