Cowbirds and Mourning Doves

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to discourage cowbirds and mourning doves from cleaning out my feeders? I'd rather not get rid of my hopper feeder as the cardinals love it, but the cowbirds and doves sure know how to go through seed! Any suggestions? I don't mind the cowbirds so much because I love their song and they're not there all the time but I feel as though the mourning doves have claimed my feeders as their own personal Trough and Brew and seem to have taken up permanent residency in the surrounding trees.

Here's a picture of my current feeder set-up (minus the hummingbird feeder that is hanging off the right side just out of view:

Thumbnail by Niere
Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Just thought I'd add this picture as well--love the indigo bunting!

Thumbnail by Niere
Marlton, NJ

Hi Niere, Sorry to say it but it looks like you have a lot of things that are very easy for Doves to perch on. The tube feeder with the tray and all the other easy perch items. I would try to cut back on some of the lesser used items to see if that helps or at least spread them out to other areas.

BTW, Love the great assortment of birds your getting. Be happy that you don't have gangs of Starlings hanging around all day chasing the nicer birds away. Nice pics!

Let us know what you wind up trying.

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

Thanks pelletory--I hadn't really considered the fact that indeed I do have a lot of areas for the doves to perch on! I'm not sure what I'm willing to part with though...while the perches are convenient for the doves, I've also noticed a lot of other birds hanging out on them waiting their turn at the feeders. And I'd hate to have to limit the cardinals to just the hopper--sometimes if the hopper is busy they'll hop on over to the tube feeder since it has the tray.

I think you're right though--I think I'll just put up with the cowbirds and the doves and be happy I don't have a mess of starlings to deal with (knock on wood). :D

Thanks!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I'd try offering the doves millet seed on the ground nearby. They seem to prefer eating on the ground anyway.

Chepachet, RI(Zone 5b)

That's also a good idea claypa--thanks! :)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow niere, I was expecting to see doves and cowbirds in your photos and when I clicked on them and saw orioles, grosbeaks and buntings I almost fainted! I am insanely jealous! I haven't seen any of those here. Are they frequent visitors for you? I hope you send more pictures our way!

Great advice pell and claypa.

I love it ... "Trough and Brew" lol!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.