Any sign of leaf rollers?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've been looking ever day, twice a day since I've started to see Skipper Moths. Being one who usually sprays on demand, I've been spritzing an organic pesticide called Pyola since I started seeing the moths, into unfurling leaves .. so far so good!

Let's get a jumpstart on these guys .. post your methods of controlling them.

For newbies, leaf rollers make your canna look awful, but don't kill the plant. They wind silk around the unfurling leaves so they can't open and live inside them.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

that is one ugly critter. I look for them and just unroll and crush. Easy. then again, I don't have that many to check.

Tammie

Thanks for posting that picture, now I know what to look for.

Crystal

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Me too.

Palm Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

X-
So do the Leaf Rollers turn into Moths? Are they Skippers?

Thanks,
Adrienne

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes they do.

X

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I took scissors and cut off the tops of an entire bed of canna lilies, Every last one had leaf rollers. After unrolling a few and squishing the monsters, I just gave up and whacked them off and put all in a garbage bag headed to the dump. Cannas in other parts of my yard don't seem to have the trouble as do those in that one bed. Are some types of canna lily more tasty to the rollers?

Have Japanese beetles arrived at your location? They are in Rock Hill, SC in abundance. We finally had a bit of rain after a dry May, and here came the beetles.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL X!! I was just stopping by here to find some controll methods I dumped a systemic over one of them tonight to see if it would kill the worm and not kill the plant. Im all ears for any better methods!
Caren

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

X thanks for telling us newbies about leaf rollers....do they live in texas?(i am being serious when asking that)....i just started growing cannas this month.... dang, i have so much to remember, hosta virus, mealy bugs, leaf rollers.....

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I get leaf rollers here but so few that I am able to just walk around and find them individually ... I just unroll and squish the intruder. The leaves do fine if found early enough.

Tammie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.