The first tractor and chick pics!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are a few shots of the first chicken tractor. Hubby built the whole thing with little help from me. I put all the chicken wire on today and we put them in before dinner. Excuse the large chicks. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Another pic.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Last pic of the tractor. We saw a pic of one where they put doors on the back for easy egg access and cleaning so we thought we'd try it. They have much more room now, can be outside all day and inside at night. If we are happy with the design, we'll make another soon.

We left their drawbridge open so they could get in and look and get back out. They were a bit hesitant to go in so we sort of had to shove them in. I put their light in there. Should I leave that on or would it be better to have it dark at night?

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, prepare to be bored or play name that chicken. LOL It's up to you!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I took lots of pics!

Some of them have bald spots but I assume it's normal? I read they molt about 5-7 weeks We've had them about 5.5 weeks.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We have a few of these and they are super friendly.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We have several like this too.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Only a couple of these.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This is one of the ones we were calling chippies (chipmunks).

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Another.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We have a couple of these.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sweet little silkie. One of six.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Five of the silkies were white babies and one was a buff color. That is the darker one above and this is one of the light ones.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Another of the whites. These were all yellow as chicks.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Group shot.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Strutting her stuff. This one loves it when you make a clicking sound.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Enjoying being held...

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The silkies are so cute. That black skin is something!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We are really delighted with them.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We only have a few of these. They really stand out with all that white on them.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This was too funny not to post!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

What a face!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's the last one unless anyone absolutely begs for more. LOL You've seen one chick......LOL

We truly are enjoying them. It's funny how they can see the tiniest thing on you or the ground and peck at it. They've tried to peck off all of our jewelry, moles, toenail polish, you name it! It's really fun to watch them spot a bug and grab it.

They've had lettuce, grapes, tomatoes and apples now. They didn't really go for the apple but they really loved and fought over the other stuff.

Thanks a bunch to all of you for the help and inspiration! Life is spinning out of control with so much to do but I do try to read posts when I can.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't know if she wondered what I was doing or could see her reflection in the camera but it was funny!

I wasn't going to leave any more pics but since I posted, why waste the space?? LOL

Look how big their feet are already!

Thumbnail by Badseed
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

BS wow you got lots chicks and so pretty different one so what kind do you have those different type of chicks? I enjoyed all the photos so thank for sharing with us. That is really nice what your DH build this!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Redrose! I have no idea what I have! LOL We bought a rainbow pullet and brown egg layer mix along with six straight run silkies. They sent us four extra chicks and we lost two. I hear chances are my silkies are boys, then the four extras are up in the air too. Don't know if I lost two females I paid for or two freebies that might be roos. There are lots of possibilities for which types there might be. I have guesses on some but guess I'll have to wait until they get their mature feathers. Can you get chicken mutts??? chuckle

This is the listing for the brown egg layers:
With this Hatchery - Assorted Egg Layers have fun deciding which one is your favorite! This is a sure way to have a variety of chickens to fill your coop. You will receive at least 3 of the following breeds: Golden Buff, Black Star, Black Australorp, Buff Orpinton, White Rock, Barred Rock, Partridge, Rhode Island Red, Delaware, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Buckeye, Black Jersey Giant ,Splecked Sussex, Cuckoo Maran, Welsummer, Dominique or Silver Laced Wyandotte. Hatchery choice of the kinds of birds selected.

Rare egg layers:
Receive a mixture of Rare breeds at a fraction of the cost. Any combination, our choice of at least 3 of the following rare breeds: Golden Laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Dominique, Black Jersey Giant, Speckled Sussex, Golden Campine, Salmon Faverolle, Light Brown Leghorn, Buckeye, Golden Phoenix, Cuckoo Maran, Araucana and Welsummer.

And the rainbow pullets:
These birds are our top choices for customers who are producing eggs for the market. Not only will you receive a rainbow of all female chicks, but the eggs they produce are sure to amaze your friends and neighbors. This assortment was created for customers who like variety. It includes some of our more popular and sought after chicks. Chicks will range from our heavy type brown egg layers, white egg layers, tinted egg layers. (Araucana, Salmon Favorelles), and even include some of our rare types (Campines, Wyandottes, and Dominiques). We will make every effort to include as many different breeds as possible, but guarantee a minimum of 5.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Your chipmunks are araucana, They look like mine.
I think this is a Barred Rock, http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3532920

This one looks like a buckeye http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3532873

I'm so jealous, I miss having so many and I miss that age!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, I am getting good at this game if you are right! I did read somewhere the Auraucana look like chipmunks. I had thought some might be Silver Laced Wyandottes but after they got more feathers, I thought they were Barred Rock! I think the ones with lots of white could be the SLW. You think the one is a Buckeye?? I really wanted some of those. I narrowed down a few others looking at the pics on Meyer and should have written it down. Since they are due for new feathers, I've not been horribly pressed to put a name on them.

I think the white ones could be Delawares. I have two that are brown and each feather has a gold line on it and I'm guessing those could be Welsummer. A couple we are thinking might be Golden Campines. Some are nearly pure black and could be a few different ones!

My eldest has sat at there so many times with a McMurray catalog trying to figure them out! LOL

It's really fun to watch them change and develop little personalities.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Badseed, You have a great Tractor and the " Big Chicks", look like really Show Quality young Hens!!! LOL!!! Too Cute!
Now let me see if I can get in on the Name that Bird Show! Hmmmmmm,
Lets start with the Black and white one
1. Barred Rock, or if it develops a rose comb it will be a Dominique
2.Looks like my light Brahmas , does it have feathered legs?
3.Rhode Island Red or Red Star
4.Red Leghorn or if develops puffs could be a Americauna
5.Barred Rock Going in the house, Silver Laced Wyandott coming out I think
6.Red Leghorn
7.Buff Silkie
8.White Silkie
9.White leghorn or White Rock
10.Group shot
11.Speckled Sussex
12.Speckled Sussex
13.Hmmmmm
14.Silver laced Wayandott???
15.barred Rock
16.GoldenLaced W. or Salmon Favorelle??
Oh well, whatever they all are you have a mighty big variety of pretty birds! Good luck!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Outstanding endeavor!

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

Love the pics !!! I tried last night and this morning and couldn't get this thread to open for me, must have been my dial up. Thankfully I came to work where there is a faster connection...lol

I took pics last week of the chicks but haven't had time to post them...takes FOREVER AND A DAY AMEN on dial up !!!

Love the silkie stretching in the group shot ~!!!

~Julie =0)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow Eufala! You really took this game by the beak! LOL Thank you for all those possible ID's!

I'm not sure about #2. We did order 6 straight run Silkie. I try to get it all straight in my head between bantam, feather legged bantam and silkies. Meyers only offers silkies as straight run and on the mix they guarantee 2 of 6 types which are simply offered as red, blue, white, buff, patridge and black. Does that clear it up? HA! Yes, it has feathered feet. Guessing by pics and seeing it, I wonder if it is a male buff. http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_item_dobus_buff-silkie.htm

Hello Dyson! Nice to see you.

Hello Julie! Ewwww! Dialup! Are you so far out in the sticks there is no DSL? Any hope on the horizon? I hope you get your pics posted. I love to gawk!

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

I would like to know how you move your tractor....it seems so much bigger then what I've come to know as a moveable tractor.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello! There are eye bolts in the front with a chain. We can move it with my riding mower. Hubby first attached the bolt to the center but it stressed the set up. Now the eye bolts will be on the ends of the "sled" sides.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

oh...that's cool....thx

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

'Chelle
the black and whites are Dominiques

that last picture is probably a golden Campine
there are silver campines and golden campines
so that one that is white with a little black that you said you have several of
could be silver campines

not sure what varieties of campines they carry,they may only hace gold,or it could be Americauna
Americanas come in TONS of colors

is there any,aside from the silkies that have 5 toes and feathers on the feet?
if you have any they would be Salmon Favorelle

and NICE pen!!!!!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

BS... I would like to get some chicks and some rabbits but not now afraid what is going to happen suppose to be bad one hurricane season will start on June 1 so , I did not want to worry or see them hurt or even die so, I prefer to wait to try get some this fall if nothing happen.

Thanks for tell me name kind of your chicks for sure will keep you real busy with them but so cute to watch babies chick. =))
Have fun!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi CC! Nice to hear from you. :)

I looked up the Golden Campine chick pic. We have one bird we call Dixie because it looks like our puppy that is a sheltie/blue healer mix. She's all freckled in appearance. So was that one chick! It was the only one that was mottled like that. I think Golden Campine was a good call. LOL

I didn't actually count the silkies toes. I knew they would have black skin and feathered legs and they do. I'll have to count toes. I know some of them do because I was showing hubby.

I feel for you RR. You all have sure had more than your fair share of scary weather! Hopefully you will have a dull summer.

Oh, I do have one question. I'd like to put some perches in the tractor for the birds. What height should I start those at? I know the birds can fly but I didn't know if they were supposed to just hop up on the perches or actually fly to them. Stop laughing.

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

That's a great chicken tractor! Can you open the doors of the little coop and take a pic in there? I'm planning to build one, and I need all the ideas I can get!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Veggiehappy! Thank you!

I can take a pic for you. There is nothing inside, it's just open. We will be building nesting boxes in there so you can open the doors and collect the eggs.

Hubby looked at some pics then just winged it. hehehhe Pun intended. It's all scrap and leftovers and things we had laying around here except the 2x12s and chickenwire.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.