Do you use grasses in your cottage garden? if so show me:)

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Any problems with it spreading? I love the idea but I'm seeing that it's advised for pots...?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Not so far, but that's not to say they won't. I also have some in a pot and it's not doing ANYTHING. But that's my luck with potted things -- and I'll admit I'm none too avid about keeping up with potted things. I'll post if I notice any spreading, though; I don't want it taking over! (Though I'd prefer that to the quack grass that's trying to take over!)

I wonder -- if I deliberately tried to grow quack grass, do you think that would get rid of it? ;}

I'm not sure if reverse psychology works with plants.... hmm...

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, where I'm trying to establish grass in the front yard, I'm having a hard time of it, but where I'm trying to keep it out of the herb garden it's flourishing. Just thought maybe it was perversity on the part of the grass rather than better soil in the herb garden. One can dream.

Now I'm getting confused about vanilla grass. Is it the same thing as sweetgrass???

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

sticks and brigidlily,
There is a article in the current June/July issue of Horticulture magazine with lots of photos, about a west Texas, Odessa, garden. It gives lots of specific plant information and is very lush and beautiful.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

thanks for that information...will try to find that issue...:)

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Blood grass and summer sky echinacea.

Thumbnail by pennefeather
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I think that I have five or six purple fountain grasses now. This is looking down the walkway. You can see two of the purple fountain grasses, plus the summer sky echinacea, marigolds, and blanketflower behind. The coreopsis, and liatris haven't begun to bloom yet. Tons of black eye susans in the bed near the walkway, along with the crape myrtle.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

pennefeather how old is the purple fountain grass? very pretty:)

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I planted the purple fountain grass about a month ago. When I got it, it had a nice circumference, but it was only a few inches tall.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Pennefeather, lovely!! I especially like the contrast of the bloodgrass and the echinacea - nice!

I got 3 of the dwarf purple fountain grasses last night and (amazing for me) got them right in the ground. It's going to be bittersweet 'cause I know they aren't hardy here... my little one gallon plant back in Phoenix is about 4' in circumference now.... wah...

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Pagan, "supposedly" my purple fountain grass is hardy to zone 6 - that's what the plant insert said. I've never seen that before on this grass. I have always considered it an annual - an expensive annual. I am going to try to mulch it over and we will see what happens. Since you are warmer than me, it might work for you - if it truly is hardy.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i bought mine at a place that sez it is a perennial....even tho the tag sez an annual.....they told me to keep the receipt and if it dies bring it back for a refund.....so i am holding on to the receipt....if you have a home depot near you they guarantee it also for 1 year

It will be interesting to see - I live with a lot of micro-climate variables that I haven't quite figured out yet - we have a river on two sides of our property, our house is on a very windy hill and there are a lot of hills and valleys ("hollers"). I enjoy watching the car thermometer go up and down while I'm driving home - always guessing where it will be.

This is what we call fun in Gainesboro...lol!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sticks, Now that I have a new camera, and the garden grasses have filled in, I can give you an idea of the end height of the native Switch grass.They are leaning over a little because I was out between the rain storms today.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

semp..lovely...what is the plant to the left of the black eyed susans? and above the bes's...?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is a view of the side yard with the grasses and self seeded kale( growing through the cracks in the driveway) and the red seed heads of the Husker red penstemon.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sticks, Thanks. We were typing at the same time. The plant above and to the left of the "susans" is the standard native aster. It is budding and should bloom soon, especially with the cold damp weather we've been having lately. I keep it short by cutting it back until July 15th. When I let it grow it's over 5 ft. If I'm lucky the "susans" and the asters will overlap in bloom time.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

no i am talking about the grass like foliage...what is that?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Siberan Iris

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

very pretty even not blooming...when does it bloom?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

The Siberian Iris bloom for me towards the end of May, starting a little later but overlapping the Bearded Iris bloom. The ones in the front didn't bloom as well for me this year because they need to be divided. I have a few white Siberians that are very elegant and are slightly taller and the blooms are held above the foliage. The whites are not as vigorous unfortunately.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here is the white Siberian.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

semp....i am going to have to add that to my want list....those are gorgeous; are they full sun? those look sorta like
grass with a bonus!!!

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

sticks, The Iris sibirica (Siberian Iris) prefers to grow in full sun to partial shade preferably in fertile, moist, slightly acid soil. I find it spreads quickly and easily and is not as exacting in it's requirement as stated. Two large clumps have seeded into the gravel pathway and the plants in the front are on the hot sidewalk strip and don't get supplemental watering. But Texas is hotter and drier then NJ in general so you might have to be more careful in placing it. This is a pass-a -long plant here that increases quickly and can be used as a edging plant. Just be sure to remove most of the seedpods or it won't flower as well next year. I like how it looks with the taller, finer textured grasses.
In the side garden I have it growing with a purple flowered columbine(also a self seeder that forms large clumps) that blooms first so the iris looks like it's blooming twice as long because the iris leaves are already up. There is a nice contrast between the lacier columbine leaves and the sword shaped iris leaves. In this photo both the columbine and the Iris are blooming.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

that is interesting about the iris and columbine complementing each other....they sure do!!!

very pretty:)

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Sticks,

I was going back through some old post to get some ideas for this coming year, when I saw this thread again. I have already made up my mind to increase my grass usage, and decrease my maintanence. My big dilemma was/is trying to figure out which grasses go best with which flowers. I just happened to come across an article on this subject. I am posting a link that I found pairing grass and flowers.

Food for thought.

http://www.dianeseeds.com/companion-plants/ornamental-grasses.html

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much Penne, I really needed that link. I just love grasses in the beds.

Debbie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I love all the pictures of your gardens, and while mine isn't really as cottage like as many, I have lots of ornamental grasses in them. This one gets about 6 ft by the end of summer. Miscanthus Gracillimus.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Polly, The whole garden is just lovely! I love the big clumps , the placement, really it is just wonderful!

Suzy

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Suzy.

I do have some more ornamental grass pictures, and will try to find them. They add a lot to a border, I think.

Really nice, I think it's a great garden. It merely lends new meaning to "cottagey".

Look forward to more pics!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Pagancat.

Here's a closer up picture of the siberian iris with ornamental grass Calamagrostis 'Overdam'. This is a varieagated small grass that the leaves stay low, but the inflorescences grow straight up and tall.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's the border in July to show how the grasses have grown. Our regular lawn grass was looking pretty crappy by then.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

sempervirens, nice Heavy Metal grass. It's a really well grown clump. I would have to keep walking up and down your sidewalk all day long, it's so pretty.

Lovely pictures everyone. You all have gorgeous gardens.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks polly.I was thrilled this summer to have a rabbit use the sidewalk as it's pathway. I guess I successfully convinced the rabbit it was just another garden path. I wish I had more space and could balance my design like you have. Your garden and grasses are very well designed. What do you consider your gardens, more of a mixed herbaceous border? I was wondering which reddish colored heuchera is in the Jan. 6th photo? and is it in full sun? I like that touch of color and shape as a nice accent.
There are a lot of beautiful garden photos on this thread. Does anyone have winter photos of the grasses? Mine don't look as good this winter because of ice storms that caused part of the clumps to break in half . I usually use hidden poles and "tie" the grasses in place because I have to maintain clear sidewalks. This year I ran out of the waxed black twine and tried 3ft. wire fencing. When the ice weighted the grasses down some broke at the fence line.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

sempervirens,

What fun to have the bunny go down the sidewalk. It really must look like a garden path, then. Hope he wasn;t nibbling his way along.

The heuchera is Midnight Burgundy. It is in full sun in the spring, but shaded by the surrounding plants for the summer.

I would call my borders just mixed borders, as in addition to the trees, I try to use about 1/3 shrubs in them. Most of my borders actually revolve around, and are planted to go with, lilacs.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Beautiful pictures everyone! I am a grass freak myself and have an assortment planted around my property as well. I'm not sure if all the beds would be considered cottagey, but I'd be happy to share a few of them with you.

This 1st picture shows some caberet grass on the right and I believe a japanese miscanthus behind the rose of sharon.

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

...same bed, different view.....

Thumbnail by Lala_Jane

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.