Starting clematis in pot

Belgium, WI(Zone 5a)

I just received an order of a couple clematis today in the mail. One of the plants is quite large and will do fine in the garden, but the other is tiny little thing, that I'm thinking may do better if it lives in a larger pot for awhile.

Can anyone advise me on the proper soil mixture for in the pot? Also, is it ok to sink the pot in the ground in the clematis' future home to help with the moisture?

TIA

(Zone 4a)

What is the name of the small Clematis?

Belgium, WI(Zone 5a)

It's a viticella Hanna ... sorry.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes..just plant it in a one-gallon pot with some bonemeal ..I use the richest darkest potting soil..Not familiar with the brands you have over there but the one I like is called "Jungle Growth"..I also like to dig a hole and drop my pots directly into my garden..remembering to keep them moist and when you see the roots starting to come out of the bottom of the pot ..then you know it's mature enough to go directly into your garden..those that I pot up in Spring are usually ready to plant in the fall..mind you I have a long growing season and very wet fall which attributes to root growth ....Jeanne

(Zone 4a)

Add some lime and composted manure to the soil.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm glad I found this thread - I've been wondering how to take care of some babies in a co-op.

JeanneTX - do you plant your pots in sun or shade?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Morning sun only...because being in a hotter zone..they do much better and less stress..you want them to focus on growing their root system....Jeanne

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Definitely put your baby Clematis vines from co-ops & big box stores into 1 gallon containers with well amended soil. The key is to grow these youngsters out in 1 gallon containers for at least 6 months to 1 year before planting in your garden. Then they will definitely have a much better chance of surviving.

Some of the small Clematis that are from Ray Evision's Patio Collection are perfect for growing in containers all year long. Just make sure that the container is at least 18" wide & deep, has good drainage, well amended soil with bone meal and a trellis that can handle the Clematis' eventual height. That way you can enjoy them up close when you are dining on your terrace or relaxing in your hot tub.....wishful thinking, I'm usually in my garden pulling weeds!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.