I've never seen an adenium this small in bloom???

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Look, this tiny baby has several buds wanting to bloom...had to share

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Hello gessiegail,

Nice nice.:-) The Adenium looks grafted which could explain the early flowering...

Best regards,

Martin

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

OK....I ordered them from Buried Treasure.....makes sense...thanks

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ok- I have visited some plant sites and want to know- is a grafted plant a bad thing? I understand the concept. Is there a chance the orginal plant can take back over and you loose the grafted part (fancy flowers)
Colleen

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't think so.....a grafted plant is your forever....

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Colleen,

As soon as I saw the picture, I thought it was one of ours. :-)

The reason for grafting is that Adeniums generally don't bloom true from seed, so starting them that way is hit or miss on getting the color you want. Starting them from cuttings, it will take them forever to develop anything close to a caudex. With grafting, you get a plant that is true to the color you want, and a natural caudex.

Some times new growth will develop below the graft, from the seedling part. This can be snipped away with sharp pruning shears. Some people leave these on when a plant is more mature, as they like to have different flowers on the same plant. This is mostly out of personal preference. When the plant is youns, as in the case of yours, I prefer to snip off the stuff below the graft, to let the scion get the most attention from the root system.

After the plant is a few years old, the graft is barely noticeable, if at all.

Chris

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am so happy that Chris posted.................I gave 4 of mine to the Asian couple I know who love adeniums more than anyone I know (except for maybe you, Chris).....They are sooooo good with them ......may have to order them so big ones soon.
gail
PS
The another friend just sent me her pictures of big ones she ordered from you and they are fabulous!!!

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

I do adenium graftings too.
I find I can grow many neat caudexes from seed then add the variety I like to them.
I have several multi trees going now.
Also regarding the size.
Your adeniums size can be controlled by the size of the pot.
The deep pot you have it in will encourage carrot like roots rather than a fat caudex.
Shallow 'bowl' style pots are best and they like to be crowded.
Id hate to see you lose her to root rot from too much moisture in the soil.

OH Shes a beauty! ;)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

don't worry.....................she got an 8" home in a bulb pan shortly after and is doing fine...........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.