clematis pic

Birmingham, IA(Zone 5a)

This is actually from last year, but it looks just as good or better this year.

Thumbnail by prettypeony
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Very Pretty!! Do you know which one it is??

Debbie

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

I have the same thing so am interested in knowing what one it is too! I have a asao which has at least 28 blooms on it at this time wish I had a digital camera...It's gorgeous...

Birmingham, IA(Zone 5a)

I believe this is Dr. Ruppel. Here's a closeup from yesterday.

Thumbnail by prettypeony
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

That is clematis "Dr. Ruppel" and yours is so purty!!..I agree..they only get more beautiful with each passing year!!..Thanks for sharing...Jeanne

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

From what you all say, this sounds like a really pretty plant, could one of you tell me a little about them. I don't have any and really don't know if they are a bush or just flowers. When I say beginner, I really mean beginner. I know about the plants I have always grown, I'm just ready for new ones. Thank you all in advance

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Loraine, these are vines. They have 3 pruning groups. They need to be pruned in Feb, probably where you live, late Jan or early Feb.
This is just me, but to me pruning group 3 would be best for beginners. You could go to www.silverstarvinery.com and email Debbie. She'll tell you everything you need to know. She's also having a sale right now. You could find a couple group 3 that are on sale and get those. Clematis tend to take a few years to be really productive, sleep, creep, and leap. If you get Debbies with those huge root systems you get to skip the sleep and/or creep.

Debbie

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

"Dr. Ruppel" is a tried and true Clematis! A wonderful addition to one's garden.

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

This message was edited Jun 23, 2007 9:00 AM

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

This message was edited Jul 14, 2009 3:11 PM

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

This message was edited Jul 14, 2009 3:13 PM

Thumbnail by Marlina
Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Marlina, Where your name , date, and time is located you will see the word 'EDIT' click on it and you can delete.
Sometime the URL will not be active if you do not have spaces between them and the next word. Not sure if this is your problem but check it out.
Linda

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

This message was edited Jul 14, 2009 3:16 PM

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Marlina..........when you make a post or go back into your own post the word "EDIT" is the bottom line in the box where your user ID is to the left of your post. Only you sees that specific edit option. You may edit one letter, one word, part of a sentence or the whole post can be removed.

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

This message was edited Aug 14, 2009 8:16 PM

Thumbnail by Marlina
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

I just got Ivan Olsson and Roochi today from Debbie. Would these two look good on the same trellis? I haven't seen either of these in person. It sounds like Ivan is purple and white and Roochi is navy blue. Would Roochi be better with a blue clem? Thank you so much for your advice, my dear friends.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I think they would compliment each other nicely. Let's see what others have to say.

Appleton, WI

Rooguchi is an integrifolia (doesn't climb but can be tied up). Ivan Olsen is an early bloomer, so it probably will be done blooming when Rooguchi starts to hit it's stride.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you, JuliaJayne

Do you have any suggestions on what to pair the Rooguchi with? It doesn't seem that it would be good by itself. What to you think? Thank you.

Appleton, WI

Integrifolias look great on their own supported by an obelisk, but I agree that it would look good paired with something else. I like the idea of growing it with a light colored clematis. John Huxtable is a good white and will get only slightly taller than rooguchi.
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=448

You can grow rooguchi through a shrub with silvery foliage or even something like Cornus alba 'Ivory Halo'. You can also try to lean them onto something, but it's been my experience that they don't always go the direction you want them to go.

Keep in mind that integrifolias will grow upright when they start growing in spring. Then at some point, they flopping over, so you need to check them frequently and tie them if you want them on a trellis.

Delaware, OH

on my way back from the pacific northwest clem trip at the seattle airport. will post pics tomorrow of joy creek and deb fisher (ssv) diversafolias...whatever i thought about rooguchi was re defined by their 5 ft plus beauties in this group......amazing does not do them justice.

i have never seen rooguchi at 5 and 6 ft tall and so vigorous.

New Richmond, OH

Back to Rooguchi.Tell us more about the 5-6 foot beauties you saw and what are you going to do about yours not being so "big"?? :-)

Delaware, OH

i have killed two over the last 8 years. i have a small one in the ground, full sun. planted a s aliner this spring..

i am also going to order another one from ssv this fall or in the spring and put it also in full sun near the small one i have in. i am thinking that maybe the genetics are different or i need to start with a bigger plant.

and when i killed the rooguchis over the years there were differences in that i was not planting as deep a hole or as good a soil mixture as i do the last couple of years. and not i have upped the grit in the mixture.

all the diversafolias and integrefolias were so large out there and beautiful.

Brandon, Canada

Just thought I'd post a pic of my Rooguchi- I'm 5 ft 8 & this plant makes it to the top of the post & then hangs down. I can say is is very hardy as I live in Manitoba Canada in zone 2b - I the plant only gets natural snow cover for the winter. It is the number one clematis that is asked about in our garden tours & the bumblebees love it. Greg

Thumbnail by kayakcraig
New Richmond, OH

Is that pic for real??? :-) Awesome! Is that just one plant? How old? Any special tips? I need SPECIFICS kayak!

Brandon, Canada

Punkysmamaw: Yes it is one plant - it is 5 years old - just it is at the edge of the garden so the soil was well worked manured. It doesn't get any extra water - So for me it is an easy growing plant. Hope that helps- Kayakcraig

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

That's a beauty!

Delaware, OH

encouraging! that is something to aspire to. hope my roguchi does as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.