Sago palm saved

Kwajalein, Marshall Islands(Zone 11)

This is the Sago Palm I saved from destruction by the "buildings & grounds" crew. It was marked for removal, had been since January at least. They put an orange spray paint stripe on it and most were on the ferns growing on the tree, not the tree itself, so I had been pulling off the marked ferns for a while. Mom called me about the crane in the fire lane behind my house, I went out and they had the noose around this tree and were starting up the chainsaw! I started screaming (so they would hear me) for them to stop, went under the tape, stood by the tree and called everyone I could think of that would be able to stop them. I called the B&G office & supervisor, Environmental office & supervisor, and the occupants of the house. After about 45 minute of me talking and them talking to each other it was agreed the tree would stay for now because of the birds nests. Later that afternoon two of the supervisors I spoke with came to see the tree and thanked me for getting involved. They agreed that the tree should not have been on the list, and it was safe, not going to be removed at all. Yeah!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicalmajik
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice tree!!!

Here is a pick of the tree with my daughter next to it for size, she is just about 1 meter tall.

I can definitly tell how tall that tree is now. lol. Your daughter is cute!!

thanks pepper! Sometimes I think she's a little to aware of how cute she is.

LOL

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

What an amazing sago; so glad you were able to save it.

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

That's lovely. Good job! :)

-Joe

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Tropicalmajik,

Hurray for you !! I shudder even to think about removing that tree. Sometimes, the so-called "authorities" can be so stupid.

Karen

Applause to you. that would have been a CRIME!!
In Florida the sagos developed a disease a few years ago and many, many mature plants were lost.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Good save, as we say in the sports world!

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey Dale, what variety is that one and would it be hardy a bit south of Jacksonville in the Julington Creek area?

Hayward, CA

TropM, That's not a sago(Cycas revoluta) but a Phoenix palm.. I think it' a P. dactylifera.

Thanks everyone for all the comments!
Dale, that's a cool palm! what kind is it?
I think you are right Bay, thanks! I was calling it a Sago because that is what Mom called it.
I'm just happy it's still around!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Dale...is that a Bismarkia nobilis?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is Bismarkia, from Madagascar (native). Does very well here. Sun or shade. When it is young, under 5 years, it is purple, not gray. I will get a photo of a young plant when I go to pick up plants this weekend, at the wholesaler.

Sun or shade they grow at the same rate, which I find surprising. Here is one in the shade of an oak.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Hayward, CA

Tropm, Its a great palm-your's is something you wont see on those palms here.I mean, that it has a crown of fronds double the amount you see here in California. They get big here-just with alot more space between fronds.
The Bismarckia's are just starting to be grown in NorCal..not many if any, large ones.They did survive the high 20's low 30's f, freeze we had this year. Most did!
Mine did develop bronze colored fronds. The first spear hasnt opened yet this year-but it does look silver

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

I agree with BAT, that is the fullest (and most beautiful) Phoenix palm of that species that I've seen. We have our share of those here but they don't look that good. I love the ferns growing on it too. Great save!

Thanks TS! Kwaj is covered in very tall coconut palms, this is one of about a hand full of large palms (not coconut) so I am really glad they aren't chopping it down. I have nothing against the coconuts, just nice to have other trees to look at!
Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, the internet has been down island wide.
Mom is due back today, luckily i didn't kill any of her plants while she was gone. :)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think its neat just to see what a neighborhood in the Marshall Islands looks like. Thanks for the amazing pics. You were right to save that cycas, they have to be really old to get that big. Congrats.

HOD HASHARON, Israel(Zone 10b)

Tropicalmajik,

Well done - heard first about this "operation" from "Mom" - I'm sure she is proud of Daughter as well as of cute granddaughter.

Ronnie

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ronnie - glad you posted here....meant to tell you that it wasn't a sago, but forgot. Still - gorgeous tree and worthy of living, Yes? So now, I guess I need to post a pic of my little guy to find out if it is also a Phoenix. Will try to do that soon.

HOD HASHARON, Israel(Zone 10b)

Shari - bring it on - Phoenix or any other - as long as it's a palm :).

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 12:36 PM

Phoenix - Thanks bunches :-) Our neighborhood is not the "norm" for the area as this is a military base... The main island the locals live on ( Ebeye) is unfortunatly not near as nice and very over crowded. The other islands in the atoll are very jungle like and have few if any inhabitants.

Ronnie - Thank you, yes Mom likes to brag us up a bit :-) Thank you for reconnecting Mom and her friends she is so excited about that!

Here is a sunset shot of "the other end of the island"...

Tropicalmajik, your daughter is such a cutie patootie!!

'Congrats!' and 'Good for You!' on saving the tree!

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.