Iris in Bloom (Plus question)

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Some of my historic TBs have popped up -- Indian Chief, with a Princess Beatrice (I think) blooming among them for the first time. Had no idea it was there, lots of surprises this year. The ICs look very tall and rather skinny to me -- divided and replanted them last year, or the year before. Are they skinny because I need to divide again, or because they're recovering from having been divided?

Thumbnail by constance22
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

They may be skinny because they're not getting adequate sun, your soil is lacking essential nutrients, or because of bizarre weather patterns.

Have your soil tested to make sure you don't need to add anything to maximize growth and performance of your irises, and make sure you have them planted in an area that provides as much direct sunlight as possible.

Laurie

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Thanks. This is a sunny spot, I've been composting it regularly, and this year added fall and spring iris fertilizer from Cooley's gardens, too. Might just dig up the whole thing after they bloom, add more compost, and try again.

Haven't had much luck with soil testing, at least not when I do it -- maybe I should send it out to someone competent? I think there are places that do that, maybe through Master Gardeners.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

The late hard freeze has meant short stems, rotted roots and limited blooms for me this year. If they are getting enough sun, I'd be tempted to blame the spring weather.

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Much too warm here through winter, made the iris start to grow, then everything froze solid. OK, guess it's lucky they're still blooming at all . . .

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Your weak stems may very well have been weather-related. There are also cultivars that simply are weak-stemmed by nature.

Remember that overfertilization can damage your plants and soil as much or moreso as underfertilization. A soil test is advisable so that you'll know the current status of your soil fertility. Your county extension service can do soil tests. If you have a feedstore in your area, they can probably send your soil samples out for testing, as well. I just dug soil to take to my feedstore for testing. They're a couple of dollars cheaper ($12.50) then doing it through the extension service ($15.00).

Laurie

Greensboro, AL

Laurief beat me to it. I was going to suggest taking a soil sample to your county extention agent. Here, they usually suggest taking several samples and mixing them together. they give you a little box to put the sample(s) in. Its good to get to know your county agent, because he knows what people have needed to use in the form of soil amendments throughout your county. You would be amazed what you can find out by picking the brains of your county agent. Also, they usually have a lot of brochures about varieties of plants that do well in your area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.