Good Combinations for Cannas in containers???

Mars, PA

I just bought 5 cannas -- 2 "Tropicana's", 1 "Wyoming", 1 "Yellow King Humpert" and 1 "Bengal Tiger" It was love at first sight and I made an impulse buy without thinking about whether I would put them in the ground or pot them up in containers. I think I am going to go with containers and I'm looking for good combinations of color and texture. With the Tropicanas, I was going to try Kiwi Fern coleus, tilt-a-whirl coleus, Salvia anhouttei "Paul" and maybe a chartreuse sweet potato vine. (These are all combintions that were suggested in P. Allen Smith's book, "Colors for the Garden".) I do kind of like the combo of the Tropicana with the plumish salvia and the burgandy of the kiwi fern coleus. Does anyone have any suggestions of combinations that they think would work or have tried and really like? I really don't know what to do with the Wyoming, Bengal Tiger and Yellow King Humbert. I just love the cannas; they are so striking. This is the first time I have ever purchased any and I don't want to take away from them with too much busy-ness, which I think I am inclined to do! Thanks! Liz

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Hi ElizabethK ,

Quoting:
I don't want to take away from them with too much busy-ness, which I think I am inclined to do! Thanks! Liz

The Bengal Tiger and Yellow King Humbert , don't really need anything else in my humble opinion . They will look just fabulous on their own .
Your own suggestions for the first lot sound really great to me .
I can't wait to see some Pictures of what you get . Kell

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Maybe a green ivy that hangs over the edge for the Bengal Tiger and Yellow King Humbert. With the Wyoming, that works and you could also plant something in the same color range.

Mars, PA

Thanks! I do like the sound of the ivy! Maybe something low and green to fill in around the edges of the pot is all I really need. Liz

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have seen magnificent big pots with the canna being the center tall plant with many many blooming plants around and hanging something over the sides.....don't ever be afraid of too many plants...sounds like you know what you are doing.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.