Do you grow LA iris in the North?

East Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

I live on a small lake & have always wanted to try the LA iris. I've read that some have had success in the North with them. I'm thinking of giving a few a try (from the co-op). From this link http://www.louisianairis.com/lincoln.htm it appears that they are planted deeper than regular iris. Is this correct?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lulabelle,

Many do have success in the north with them. The successes I've personally heard of - - are grown in ponds with water heaters to keep the water from freezing, and those grown in pots and brought indoors/or put in sheltered warmer areas during the winter. Here is a link with more cultural information. This should help. Good luck! :-)

http://www.louisianas.org/cultivars/culturalreq.html

~Margie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I planted 6 of them last fall. They all came up, and then 3 were cut back by the late freeze in April, but have since come up again. They are making good clumps, but I can't say about bloom, yet. Greg at Iris City Gardens assured me they would do well into Z5, as long as they are heavily mulched for the winter.

I think for the price they are going for in the co-op I would try them.

I planted my rhizomes about 2-3 inches deep. The rhizomes are nice and visable, and easy to plant.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I had some in a low, wet area. They thrived & multiplied, but few blooms. Needed more water but I don't have a pond.. I dug them up and gave them away at the Iowa Round Up.

Metairie, LA(Zone 9b)

I don't grow Louisiana irises in the North but hear a lot about people who succeed with them. Every year Edna Claunch of Rochester, NY posts the pictures of Gene Lupinetti taken in Highland Park's Iris Friendship Garden, and they all look to be performing as well as anywhere I have seen. I'm posting one of the pictures from this year's bloom.

Thumbnail by PatrickOC
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I grow them in the north!!!! I bring them in for the winter, under lights in the basement. Left Black Gamecock outside last winter by mistake and -I think due to good snow cover - it survived but I don't think is going to bloom this year. Chowning iris seem to be the most hardy for colder zones.

inanda

East Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone for the input. The area that I was thinking of is a pond. And, I was considering planting them at the water's edge and into the water. I would n't be able to mulch them. If cold enough, the water would freeze over. I didn't order from the co-op, -- I probably should have given them a try.

Newfoundland, NJ

Louisianas will grow in the north, get frozen and come back again. they will grow in water and on land. There are a few however which will not grow up north; some of the more recent hybrids. I think the ones that start with 'Professor', the tetraploids, is that tender line.
Laetitia

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ensata Iris of Michigan introduced a zone 5 LA Iris called something like "Michigan". I figure if they are breeding them in Michigan, they are growing them there. Check out the Ensata web site.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I planted this one last fall and it has produced 5 flowers so far. It is not in a damp spot.
Louisiana Iris Jacaranda Lad from Aitkens Salmon Creek. But the true test will be next year. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

bbrookrd,
Why will the true test be next fall. Sounds as if it has been through a full season and has bloomed beautifully. What more do you need to learn from this iris's performance. I may be ready to purchase it, just on your experience! What more could you want?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I seem to have been able over the years to grow plants for the one year and then have them disappear. It is a beauty for sure. Fingers crossed for it returning next spring. I planted 5 others, but this is the only one that bloomed. I didn't really expect any to bloom this year from the fall 06 planting. I planted all six of them in different parts of my garden, so I could see if there was a spot that they might establish in. So far the dappled shade on the west side of my house on the edge of a pine woods shows the most promise. The others are growing, but look less happy. But one blooming plant for one year is not a good barometer of success. Patti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.