Anyone Recognize This Beauty?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks kinda like a salvia....the blossom is about 1 - 1 1/4" long,...overall larger than most salvias blossoms I know of (not sayin' a lot!) I thought perhaps someone may recognize it! Thanks!

Thumbnail by WillisTxGarden
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

A close up

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Looks like Ruellia elegans to me. :)

I agree - 'Ragin' Cajun' ruellia. I have one of these and had a heck of a time figuring out what it was!! (It was a fairly new variety at the time.) Of course they had it mislabeled at the nursery as a salvia.

I like the intense color, wow!

Joseph

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I got a Rajin Cajun last year. So far this year it is just now emerging. Other Ruellia species are almost invasive here. What conditions has everyone found work best for it? nancy

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow! This plant was a gift....without identification (of course)...I'm thankful for another different ruellia! Thanks everyone,...I appreciate yout input!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

lol Lee...is that one of the cuttings that I gave you at the swap? *blink blink*.... Sure looks like my Mother plant, lol.... :)

Melanie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Melanie,....no,....it is a plant that my Mother picked up at a yard sale.....it's actually more red than the cuttings you gave me....a different cultivar...I guess. Check the difference...here's the one you gave me....the color in the photo is true....more of a fuchsia...I really dig it though!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, now see....the plant that it came from is bright red...not fushcia... *scratching head*, lol... My plant looks exactly like the red one.... Hmmm....well...perhaps it is that East Texas Piney Wood soil.... :)

Melanie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Odd thing Melanie....those flowers were the very first. After they dropped,...and some more growth,....new flowers bloomed and look at them now! More red,...like your Mama plant and my new ruellia above

Frisco, TX

I have this plant and was wondering what the seed pod looks like??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.