Questions re Weiskittel hybrid azalea Sarah's Wedding

Burke, VA

I saw an azalea I loved last weekend called sarah's wedding:large white double flowers. Someone on another forum said it is a weiskittel hybrid. Anyone have experience with these? The nursery said to plant in full shade. I didn't think that worked in the long run for azaleas and rhodies. Any feedback is appreciated.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello again sandyinva. You might want to contact Harry Weiskittel, the hybridizer, directly. He is the owner of Marshy Point Nursery (wholesaler) in Chase, MD. I have some old numbers from 2001 that m-a-y still be in use: Telephone #410-335-4070, Fax #410-335 2597.

While azaleas and rhodies could survive in dense full shade, they will flourish in part shade since bloom formation requires some sun light. Shade with indirect bright light, say from a cement driveway/trees with a high canopy, would help in some scenarios.

Luis

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

They have a website too

http://www.marshypointnursery.com/

This message was edited May 22, 2007 11:02 AM

Burke, VA

Hi again Luisand claypa,

I actually did send an email to them last night. If I don't hear from them in the next few days, I will call, thanks for the number. I thought if anyone woould know for certain, they would. Ideally, I would like to put it in my fullshade spot, but not if it is not going to do well there, This is a canopied area, but it is not dappled. I do have several other places.

I am falling into a bad habit of buying plants I like, then deciding where I want them,, rather than to draw out a plan based around the spot first..

Thanks again.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Buying plants first and then deciding where to put them... is... a bad habit? Ooops!

I think that is someting that everyone has done at one time or another or at many times and anothers....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.