my schizophrenic Maria Tormena

Dauphin, PA

I've never seen anything quite like this. Maria Tormena is normally splashed and streaked, and primarily a lighter lavender. This year, one of the stalks has these bizarre blooms that look as if they've been split down the middle, with light lavender on one side and darker purple on the other. Each bloom has one light and one dark standard and fall, and one that is split exactly in half.

katie

Thumbnail by stoneycreekiris
Dauphin, PA

Here's a second picture:

Thumbnail by stoneycreekiris
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

that is so cool I love it
Gloria

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Wow!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That is certainly a "split personality" LOL maybe it should be renamed with your added adjective! LOL It is just beautiful though...

Dauphin, PA

Any guesses as to whether the babies of this rhizome would do the same thing?

katie

Lebanon, OR

Katie

No they won't do the same thing at all. I have had on one stalk, all S same all Falls same, streaked, solid, spotted, half and half...it is the nature of some of the Broken colors but it is fun...

D

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

I've had a lot of strange stuff happen with the broken colors also. Two years in a row Violet Tiger had blooms like that.

I have two clumps of Jurassic Park, last year one of the clumps had several falls with the color split right down the middle. This year no weird blooms at all from either clump.

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

how do I get that one thats to cool!!..........sharon

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Katie,

If it does it again next year, separate it out and grow it separately. If it continues to do this it has mutated into a "sport". Beverly Sills has a 'sport'. That sport has been registered and is named "Beverly In White."

I believe I may have a "sport" growing now................. from Millennium Falcon. (it too is a broken color) I'll watch it again next year. Only - it went to almost a solid color white. Notice below that the style arms, beard color, and form remained the same.

~Margie

Thumbnail by Margiempv

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.