what in the name of st. fiacre am i growing?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

This volunteered where the compost bin (open bottomed) had been. I thought it was a squash, then I thought watermelon. Now I'm thinking pumpkin? Thanks for any thoughts. A borer got into it near where it sprouted, but it's put down quite a few roots between there and this fruit. Will the borer go all the way to the fruit? As in, do I need to do surgery (I've done it before on squash and know how)?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Turlock, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm no expert, but it looks like a Winter squash, sorry have no advice on borers, I'm lucky, haven't had that problem on my squash plants. Good luck to you!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If it is putting down roots at the leaf nodes, it is a C. Maxima. Actually a pumpkin is a winter squash with a particular shape and color. Same rules apply as long as it is a C. maxima. Because they root at each internode, may times they will keep going after the borers have destroyed the main vine attached to the original root. You can help it along by covering each internode with dirt or mulch,. If you have the expertise to take the borer out with wire or surgery, it would be wise to do so. An injection of Bt is less invasive and also works most of the time.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

How do you do surgery for the borer? What is BT and how do you inject yet? What does the borer damage look like?

Karen

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2153.html To inject Thuricide ( a liquid form of Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis)) a large hyperdemic type needle is needed. The pump from the clown balloon kits works pretty well.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Farmerdill:

Thank you so much for the link. I am keeping a running list on a word doc, so I know where to go back and look for the into when/if I need it.

Karen

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

It's oranger today. Yes, I know that's not a word but it should be. "Redder" is a word. Thanks for the input. I'll get out the razor blade and go after the borer. They make me so mad. I'll put it where the birds can get it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.