Storing Potting Mix/Compost in Sterilite Containers.Yes? No?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I bagged some finished compost in an old plastic potting mix bag, about 7-8 weeks ago. When I opened it up to use in some repotting, it had a funny odor I associate with grub worms. I was a little horrified the compost would be filled with breeding grubs, but I didn't find any.

My question is what to do with the compost that's broken down already, if I'm not going to use it right away? I've put what I need in an existing flowerbed, and I'm planning to use some of it in the fresh potting mix when I repot some existing plants. But, I'm not doing this in a hurry. This weekend, I bought some clear Sterilite containers with lids, to put my potting mix in. Easier to reach down into than the tall plastic bags they come in. Should I drill holes in the lids for air circulation? I was thinking of putting come of the finished compost into a container too.

But, I'm thinking ants would get into the containers if I drill holes. I already have a bag of potting mix that they've made a colony in.

Any ideas on keeping the compost/potting mix fresh and ant-free until I'm ready for it would be much appreciated.

Please let me know.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm also wondering if there's any real recommendations on this. I have finished compost in a 5 gal bucket no lid, sitting out since no rain forecast. I leave potting soil in its bag. I make batches of mix in a 5 gal bucket with lid, sitting in garden, but got earwigs in it once- UGH.
I think the ants are more problematic in TX than MD though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.