Potted hydrangea has a problem

Monroe, WA

Hello!

I bought 3 hydrangeas last year and planted them individually in a pot. Something's chewing on the leaves, I blasted it with water. I looked at the leaves and it look like it's aphids. I might resort to spraying them if the problem stll persist. What do you recommend? Also, the leaves are curling at the end(see attached picture). What could be the reason of that? It's in a shaded area so I don't think it's too much sun. Perhaps little water? Oh, all 3 plants are experiencing the same problem. Can you please shed a light to my problems?

Also, when do you fertilize these beautiful shrubs and what fertilizer are you using?

Take care and have a great week!
Aelana

Thumbnail by aelana
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Aphids are not a big hydrangea pest. Can you get confirmation from a local nursery that these pests are aphids? Take a sample in a sealed plastic envelope. If it aphids, you can continue using the hose method, Safer insecticidal soap or Orthene.

As for the curling, I would increase the amount of water that the plants are getting and monitor how the plant reacts. Newly planted hydrangeas do this when it gets hot and there is lack of moisture it but goes away on its own when soil moisture increases. It is a very efficient way to protect from water loss. Just like wilting.

All my hydrangeas are planted in the ground. They get 1/4 to 1 cup of some manure or cottonseed meal in May and July, depending on plant size. Dan Hinkley, on growing hydrangeas long term in containers, said "For those gardening in less benign climates and wishing to grow hydrangeas, they do respond well to pot culture. A gallon sized plant should be moved directly into a 15 - 25 gal container using a bark based soilless compost which can be purchased through gardening centers. Move the containers into an unheated porch, garage or cold greenhouse during the winter season, protecting only during the coldest temperatures. Fertilize and water as for those plants grown in the ground - replace the compost (planting medium) every three years or as needed."

Monroe, WA

Thank you very much Luis! I think I will have to plant my hydrangeas on ground. When can I safely do it?

Thanks,
AElana

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Happy Memorial Weekend, aelana. For people in Zone 7, you should be able to plant then almost any time as long as you are prepared to water frequently and the ground has not frozen. Thus, my exceptions would be during periods of extreme hot/cold temperatures. If your ground freezes in the Fall then I would plant about 30-60 days before the date of your first hard freeze.

I am currently not watering at all because Mother Nature has rained here (Dallas / Fort Worth, Zone 7b/8a) a lot all spring long. But normally, I would start with 1gallon of water twice a week in early spring and switch to three days by late May or early Spring (when temps get to the 90s.

Since your zone 7 is much different than mine and since your soil type may differ from mine (clayish), here is a better idea... add 1g of water (1.5 to 2 if your soil is sandy) and see how long the soil remains moist. Every day, insert a finger into the soil to a depth of 3-4" and water when it feels dry or almost dry. Notice if a pattern develops. Like having to water every two, three, four days. Then set the sprinkler or drip system along that schedule.

Extra watering will be required on some days when the weather forecast is for hot temps or when there is a wind advisory in the area. When in the ground, fertilize them twice yearly, in May and June/July only. Use either manure, organic compost or cottonseed meal. Or a chemical fertilizer per label instructions but only on those two months.

Next is a link to a lot of hydrangea information. When reading the instructions, be aware that the author lives in SC so some recommendations have to be personally tweaked at times to local conditions: http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com

Good luck and have a good weekend aelana,
Luis

Monroe, WA

Hi Luis! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm preparing the area to transplant the hydrangeas right now and will let you know how the transplanting goes. Any tips re preparing the bed for hydrangeas? :)

Have a great day!

Aelana

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello, Aelana. I would use new soil from a local nursery/HD/Lowes in a new bed. To produce blue blooms with alkaline soil, you will need to add ammendments (organic sulphur/soil sulphur/aluminum sulphate/etc monthly for three months at times when the ground is not frozen... water after applying). Your goal is to bring the PH below 6. If the new soil is already acidic, you will not need to do this at first. After a while, the use of alkaline water for watering will raise the Ph in the bed and force you to start ammending the soil. If it is difficult, try using a NPK 25-5-30 fertilizer.

To produce pink blooms with acidic soil, use dolomitic lime. Lime will raise the Ph; shoot for 6 or a tiny fraction higher than 6. Because your soil may contain naturally occurring traces of aluminum, the aluminum sometimes-not-always may cause some blue-ing or purple-ing effect even though the lime has raised the Ph. If this happens, use a NPK 25-10-10 fertilizer (high in phosphorus... the second number) to make it more difficult to absorb aluminum.

For even more information, check out http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com

Luis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.