red tulips

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

An animal has snipped the buds of red tulips, but only the red. Can you identify the culprit?

Sounds to me more like one of your neighbor's kids snipped a few to take home to their Mom for Mother's Day. Check vases in your neighbor's homes.

Just kidding sort of. I haven't a clue what critter other than a two-legged critter would be so selective as to only snip the reds.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are the reds planted together in one area, or are all the colors mixed together? If they're all mixed together then I vote for the neighbor kid theory, otherwise if you've got the colors separated in patches then it's probably just coincidence that the bunny, deer, etc wandered into the patch of red ones.

I got a vase of nice bright yellow dandelions for my kitchen table this year. Anyone else get anything really special? One year I got a bunch of brightly colored surveying flags that I had been using to denote where I planted what. Oh, that was a special day being presented with hundreds of my surveying flags that had been ripped from the ground to be stuck in a vase by a very little boy who was very proud of his "gift". I think I about passed out.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Deer are very fond of red. They are the first to go. They are less fond of yellow and white flowers. Those are the only ones that make it every year. Although they will eat them if that is all you have to offer.
Before you tell me deer are color blind, I do not believe it for a minute. When wearing a deer colored sweatshirt, a little button buck followed me all around the woods. If I wore any other color he ran. Also the deer see me during hunting when I have an orange hat on, if I wear a solid green hat, they do not see me.

I won't tell you that deer are color blind.

Deer around me aren't quite as selective with what they eat.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

You must have a better salad bar for them!

We refer to my plants as the smorgasbord. What ever I add is part of the "dining" experience.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I hope you charge, I would hate to think all the munching is free.

Nope, we're free. Any hunter who wants to come and set up a blind on our property is welcome to do so and heck... I'll even be his wife away from home and bring hot coffee and sandwiches out to keep his strength up while he's out there. We have a nice portable heater too, that should keep him nice and toasty warm so he can stay out there longer and get more Bambis.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Would you bring me coffee, even though I am a lady? I am an avid deer hunter. I spent 314 hours in a blind between bow, rifle and muzzle loader season.
My yard is not a buffet....I call it food plot. Just kidding, I hunt in our woods, not around the house. The deer know it too. I have found deer around the house coming in from hunting. I joke about putting lillies out in the woods for bait.

Do you like your coffee black or with sugar or cream ;)

When I grow up can I be like you? I'd love to be able to pull the trigger because I know it needs to be done but I don't haveit in me.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I didn't know if I could. But I got myself confident with a gun and when I saw a nice deer, I didn't even think about it. I felt a little bad at first, but we had quite a few nice meals and it was a good clean shot. I am really fussy about that, if I am in doubt I do not shoot.
About 2 years ago I got a bow and practiced until I was happy with it. Bow season is awesome. The woods are beautiful and the deer are close up. I watch alot. All those hours and I only took 1 deer last year. I saw at almost 100.
(Hazelnut coffee blend, with hazelnut creamer...and a potty chair)

A Hazelnut coffee blend would be perfectly fine.

Umm, I could do better than a potty chair if you'd come and help reduce their numbers in my immediate area... I'd rent a porta potty with radiant heat.

And exactly when will you be arriving ;) I'd like to be able to plan to get a little plant shopping in for you and me when you come to visit.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

You know to tell you the truth, it may be hard for me to deer hunt HERE this year, as I am laid off from my job and the state is in dire need for money as people are leaving to find work. So they decide they will DOUBLE the license fees this year for hunting. So it is either cut down on hunting or violate.
Also, do you ever see deer during hunting season? Now that is the hard part. I think they all go hide where in the elephants graveyard or something.
I think you should learn to hunt, you may enjoy it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.