Afraid and don't know what to do!!!

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

This weekend we went to the local hardware store to buy compost! I bought 20 bags of cotton bur compost. Laid newspaper over the area, and piled on the compost. While dumping the bags we notice lumps, some were rocks, others I think is manure. The compost still has a smell to it. What should I do now? How long should I wait to plant? I need another 40 bags and have looked around my area for other resources. The bags from the local hardware store seem to be my only choice.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

I would not wait to plant most of your roots are going to be below this "compost area" but I think you would greatly benefit from an application of compost tea - that way you are "introducing" alot of good aerobic bacteria to help "finish" it, also if you have a Starbucks nearby start covering the compost with coffee grounds (Starbuck has a corporate policy of "Grounds for Gardeners") your worms will love ya.........

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah,
I've been collecting a 5-gallon bucket of grinds every week on my job. Started out with a few scrawny worms, and today, they are at LEAST 5" and fat, fat, fat. They hold a convention around the coffee grinds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.