Earthbox soil question.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi - I looked at the ingredients in the Container soil I bought. It includes a "wetting agent". Is this the same as those water-retention things I'm supposed to avoid?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

DO NOT USE IT!!!! And, you should be packing your EB with potting MIX -- not soil. Check to see if you bought mix or soil....

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

A wetting agent is something that will help water wet the soil (you know how peat can be really impossible to wet if you let it dry out? This would reduce that problem). It's not the same as the polymer crystals that hold water. I don't have an earthbox so I don't know if you can use ordinary container mix in it or if you need something special, but if it's not a soilless mix you shouldn't be using it in any container, earthbox or not.

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

It is container mix. Sorry for my miscommunication.
So, I guess the wetting agent is ok.

Thanks -
jo

Harvard, IL(Zone 5a)

Every so often, put a little bit of dishwashing liquid in a watering can and water your mix with it. The dishwashing liquid serves as a pretty good wetting agent. As to the polymer granules, they will extend the time between watering as far as your plants' needs are concerned, but you need to keep your media moist to avoid the problems inherent with peat, as mentioned above. A product like FertiSorb (www.fertisorb.com) will also hold water over time, after its embedded nutrient is pulled out by the plants' roots. It's a fertilizer and water holding polymer all in one, and there's a good discussion about the need for regular watering even when using polymers on FertiSorb's website in the FAQ section.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.