Unknown Plant

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hi

Does anyone know what this plant is at all................. there are no leaves as such, just stems that come out of the soil with these flowers on the ends.........
I thought maybe a Zephyranthes, but am not sure.......

Thanks
Mark

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

There is a yellow'y one of those in a garden in my village. Was looking at it only an hour ago.. Not a clue though sorry. except i think we sell them at work in the marginal pond plants. (doesnt mean it likes water as most nurseries will sell anything as a pond plant as long as it doesnt die too quickly stood in water)

Nice though!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

It doesn't look like a Zephyranthes, more like Watsonia but really not quite like either!

I guess it's short if you say Zephyranthes, some look to flower with leaves, others without.

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Zephyranthes

How tall is it, and where did you get it?

Have you posted it on the Plant ID forum, you will get more people there that might know.

Mike
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, you should have asked whoever the gardens was, what the plant was called........LOL
It seems to thrive being wet or dry............. so i dont think its a marginal plant. Yes i know what you mean about garden centres selling anything as a pond plant!!
Oh well, hopefully someone will be able to tell me what it is...........

Yes its a lovely plant.............

Hi Janet

Its a strange one isnt it................. i have looked all over and cannot find anything really to come close to it..
Its kinda like on stems like poppy stems that bend all over............. but if the stems were straight i guess it would be 2 ft high or so.
I was given it by someone who also didnt know what it was............. LOL

Nope, i havent posted it anywhere but here at the moment..............

I looked on that link earlier Janet................. somehow i dont think it is one of those anymore.. Oh well, its pretty, even though i dont know its name.

This message was edited May 21, 2007 3:31 PM

Hi Mark,

I assume it is a bulb then? 2 ft high points towards a Watsonia, there are all sorts of colours, but something doesn't quite look right.

I'm not sure if they always have leaves with flowers either, I don't have any, but I think they usually do.

Does it have several flowers up the stem or just one? Could you post a pic of the whole thing with the stem?

I'm a little bamboozled, it's not one which is in my minds recognition.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

The noid is certainly beautiful. My lastest obsessions seem to be peachy toned flowers.

I searched for 'salmon watsonia' and found a species which produces bulbils, but the stamens don't look right nor does the flower fit really.

Watsonia meriana ssp. bulbilifera

http://pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/files/Watsonia/Watsonia_meriana_bulb_msi.jpg

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

The one in the village is in a bed where they have planted loads of short stemmed bulbs. (must like bulbs) So i guess theirs must make bulbs of a sort.
I have never seen anyone at that house. But the garden is allways tidy (a little boring, but tidy)

The water plant growers are terrible for it. Even worse is the indoor water plant growers. We get them in, in mixed selections and there is all sorts. Like peace lilly and dracena with metal weights on for putting in a fish tank! Cause thats natural?????

Nice picture even if noone does know it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.