My Heuchs are happy now, how about yours?

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

It must be the combination of rain and sun this year, the heucheras have never been happier!

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Gorgeous - I am very jealous.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Stunning!!!

i love the variety.

Delhi, IA

WOW___what a scene!! It looks so perfect that it almost couldn't be real!!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Beautiful - they certainly do look happy!!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Exceptionally beautiful!

Most of mine are happy, some aren't I have to move the ones that aren't. Some I just got this year and they didn't look very happy when I got them, I hope they perk up

Some are just too happy and will have to be moved 'cause they're encroaching on their smaller neighbors. Especially the Tellima grandiflora - Fringe Cups, our native heuchera relative. I'm going to try them in the front yard in a PSh area where I need some low-maintenance fillers. That means I'll need more heucheras to replace them. Hooray!

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi KatyMac,
Your plantings are lovely.
My heucheras have come back nicely this year, even Swirling Fantasy which was eaten to the nubbins last year.
The photo is Caramel and Swirling Fantasy with a blue hosta, bleeding heart and geranium maculatum.

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Green Spice , Palace Purple and Kimono(in the right corner).

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Katy that is so gorgeous! Now I have to work harder with my heucheras to get them as beautiful as yours!!

Semper you just gave me a good idea on what to plant near my Caramel. I'm going to put Obsidian next to it. That should jazz up both plants!

MollyD

Love your combos semper!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Nice pics semper

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the compliments Katy and GG. Glad you got an idea for your Caramel planting Molly.
Here's a very woodsy looking group with Tellima and Palace Purple included. edited to add-The photo shows variegated solomon seal in the back - starting on the left - Lenten rose hellebore - leucothoe Girards rainbow -hydrangea - and another hellebore. Japanese painted fern - epimedium - hardy cyclamen - wood phlox Montrose tricolor and violets.

This message was edited May 24, 2007 5:17 AM

Love it! You've got a couple of beauties I don't recognize, care to share some IDs?

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Mine seem pretty happy. They were one of the first things to perk up and start looking pretty after the long winter, which I appreciate about them.

Dolce Peach Melba about to bloom

Thumbnail by Noreaster

The group...I think the dark one is Purple Petticoats?

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Gypsy Dancer. This is my favorite...I know they are foliage plants, but I really like the blooms, too, and this one bloomed til October.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Noreaster,
They all look wonderful

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Those are gorgeous Noreaster! I seldom run into any of the Dolce heucheras here. Mostly TNN stuff

MollyD

Thanks Molly and GardenGeek. I wish I could get the Peach Melbas into a tiny bit more sun, which I read can help the color. They're fine now, but we have a big tall tree that has yet to leaf out which is going to cast more shade on that spot. I planted all those last year. The Peach Melbas seemed to grow very fast. I bought a Dolce Lime Rickey which I am going to put in a container. I just can't seem to say "no" to either Hosta or Heuchera!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Lime Rickey isn't a Dolce plant! It's a TNN one . Here's their web page:
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=145

MollyD

oops, I meant Dolce Key Lime Pie! Lime Rickey is lovely too.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I have some that I need to get into more sun and will be working on that this weekend. I have never met a hosta or Heuch that I didn't like,,,lol

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Ah Key Lime, I can see how you made the mistake since they seem similar. I've heard Key Lime is easier to deal with. Hope I come across one someday.

MollyD

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Noreaster,
The Gypsy dancer in your photo is especially lovely in front of the rocks.
Molly, have you had problems with Lime Rickey?

This message was edited May 25, 2007 4:02 AM

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Semper,

The only problem with Rickey so far is sunburn. Our walnut trees are only now just leafing out so there hasn't been enough shade for LR. I've read post by many different people that LR just vanishes over winter for them.

MollyD

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi MollyD Here's my Key Lime Pie. I planted it last fall. I'm really happy with it. The color isn't looking quite "limey" enough in this picture, though. It's really very bright. It's the bright spot I really needed in this dull corner of my yard. (Ignore the phlox. My husband loves that thing and so far hasn't let me (re)move it. He normally doesn't care one way or the other....go figure)

This message was edited May 24, 2007 5:10 PM

Thumbnail by susybell
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

susy,
Nice bright plant for that spot. I love those bright ones and I guess I like the real dark ones as well, heck, I like em all,,,,lol

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Susy it's beautiful! Now have you considered a little Round Up around that phlox to get those 'weeds' bothering it ;-)

MollyD

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

MollyD, Thanks!

hmmm.....after all, I only want the best for DH' s phlox.... ;)

GardenGeek_WI,
Heucheras are my other recent "discovery" (i.e. addiction....) besides Hostas. I went from one last year to I think now I have 8, or 9 if you count the Tellima Grandiflora 'Forest Frost' I just bought today for my natives corner. I've also got the PNW native Heuchera Micrantha (Did I spell that right?) a Velvet Nights, a Dolce Creme Brulee (under my Nandina Purple Passion) in addition to the Dolce Key Lime Pie, two Green Spice, two Palace Purple and my "old" Bressingham hybrid that needs dividing. Think I can still divide it this year?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

KatyMAc,
I love your first pic, especially. What are the ID's, please? The grass clump is a really nice little exclamation point.

semper,
beautiful combos in your pics, too.

MollyD,
I was just thinking yesterday that I don't think the Dolces get enough exposure. I saw the VERY black Dolce Licorice last week and am definitely going back for it. I was killing some time away from my DH's hospital bed so couldn't buy it when I saw it. But this pic of yesterday's blooms on Dolce Mocha Mint with Dolce Peach Melba (yet to bloom) was what made me have the though. The gray in the leaves of Mocha Mint is like no other gray in my garden - a beautiful blue more than gray.

Thumbnail by mickgene

mickgene, I love that combo! I have some plugs from last year to plant and I'm definitely going to put some in pots! The grass in the first pic is sedge, zebra grass.

Ah yes, what are they? lol In alphabetical order because one of the first projects my boxer puppy completed was to carefully remove all the labels (and some of the plants). Hence, the tacky wire fencing. In a month or so when the colors come truer I'll match the labels again.

Amber Waves, Amethyst Mist, Can Can, Caramel, Cascade Dawn, Champagne Bubbles, Dolce Créme Brulee, Crimson Curls, Dale's Strain, Ebony & Ivory, Fandago, Fireworks, Frosted Violet, Green Spice, Hollywood, June Bride, Key Lime Pie, Lime Rickey, Palace Purple, Palace Purple Henry's Select, Peach Flambe, Peach Melba, Pretty Polly, Plum Pudding, Quicksilver , Regina, Smoky rose, Snow Angel, Velvet Nights

Thumbnail by KatyMac

As soon as I saw your garden fencing, KatyMac, I wondered what kind of dog you had. I have most of my beds fenced off with the same stuff to keep my Bostons out! It would be nice to not have to have it, but we gotta have intact plants, too. Beautiful Boxer you have, and beautiful Heuchera, as well.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

He must have been in puppy heaven ripping tags and plants up! All those lovely toys for him to play with!!

mickgene I agree about the Dolce's. I've got to start asking for them at my favorite nurseries! I loved that peach and mint combo!

MollyD

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

susy,
I think you could divide it as long as you keep it watered well, it should be fine.

Katy,
Nice list. I have to get my last 5 on my list yet.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Everyone's gardens are so nice, and that pot combo was really nice. I don't think I've seen a mocha mint in person yet.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try. It blooms like a classic coral bells so it'll be a nice accent in a few more spots if they survive. :)

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Here in central Missouri I have a dolce Licorice that was a new plant last year. It went thru that distructive hot humid summer we had here with flying colors and it does getb slammed pretty hard with afternoon sun. Would make you think that something like Obisdan might benefit from more sun but it sure does not like it.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

That is so true Ozarkian. I moved Obsidian to a morning sun only spot this past week and I could see it perk up right away! Seems it hated the afternoon sun.

MollyD

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

KatyMac, Thanks for that wonderful list. Many of those are ones I'd gotten in the co-op 2 years ago and didn't survive - Fandango, Hollywood, Ebony and Ivory, and CanCan. Since they're all TNN intros, I guess you have their preferred conditions. The plugs we got weren't big enough to enable moving them around when they weren't happy with where I placed them. But yours sure make me want to try again with some bigger plants!

And I frankly didn't even notice your "tacky" fence. Since I have the same problem with m dogs, I guess I've just learned to look past it. :)

Ozarkian and MollyD, thanks for the info on Obsidian. That sounds like Licorice would be a better choice for me. It was in full sun at the nursery and looking spectacular and that's the exposure I "need" it for.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

TNN?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.