Tomatoes Already

Algonac, MI

Hello Fello Gardners.... I wanted to send you a photo of my tomatoes, which was taken on May 13th (last Sunday).
These are Early Girls and they are a little larger as of today, but I am out of film for now. I have about 26 more of different varities, of which, 18 are still in seedling.
My other two Early Girl plants are now flowering (from previous pics) and I hope will tomato within a couple of weeks.
Just thought I'd share this with you.
Later!

Thumbnail by LostIndian
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Quite an accomplishment. I know I won't have tomatoes till August since my seedlings are only about 6" tall right now.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Congratulations on your first tomato. I bet you can't wait till it is ripe and you can just bite into it right there in the garden. You should post this in the tomato forum here at Daves. Thanks for sharing the picture.

I haven't put my tomatoes in yet. We got a frost last night so we're behind I guess. We tilled up our veggie garden yesterday and will put in things that can take the cold like broccoli, turnip greens, cabbage, onions etc. but I don't think I'll put my tomatoes and pepper plants in till I know we won't have any more frosts. Of course there are never any guarantees. This is Michigan after all. Ha ha ha.

Brenda

Algonac, MI

Thanks hemlady and Loon for your comments.
hemlady, I set my plants out weeks ago. As soon as I knew that the nights were not going to freeze AGAIN and I placed an opaque plastic cover over a home-made teepee for cover at night. The lowest temp experienced was a cool 36. The following days the temps rose from 56 to about 78 and the plants bounced back immediately after I removed the cover.
Loon, I already planted some of the seeds you write about. My broccoli and cabbages have not sprouted as of yet, although the "time" has passed according to garden sites on the Internet. I will give them a few more day and then I'll replant.
My suspicions are that the place I bought the seeds sent me old seeds, as I have already had a bad experience with them with artichoke seeds. More on this later because I may have more difficulty with their seeds, as I did buy many different seeds from them.
I planted two types of chard from this unnamed company (for now) and only 3 sprouted of one kind. Time is on my side for now but it is awasting for the growing season here in Michigan.
Yeah yer right! I am impatiently waiting to "lipsmack" those little jewels from the vine: just like last year. AIN'T NUTHIN' like a tomato straight from the vine and straight into yer mouth.
I'm gonna send my tomato pic to the tomato forum. Thanks!
Later!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow..I'm impressed. We just got ours in the ground!! In fact only the tomatoes are in....maybe next week we'll get the rest planted...We've found in our area that it is often better to wait until the first of June. Things catch up and do just fine. Our ground stays so cold for so long

Redford, MI(Zone 6b)

Theses are starting to ripen.

Art

Thumbnail by ascharr
Algonac, MI

ascharr...nice looking toms. What strain are they?
My 3 Early Girl toms haven't began to ripen, but they may start turning within a couple of weeks. All 3 look as if they are boron difficent even though they are getting quite large.
My other 2 Early Girls are flowering profusely and my other in-ground plants are growing faster than I expected. Looks like a great tomato year for me, especially since I have another 18 more plants to put in the ground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.