What's Blooming 5-20-07

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a continuation of previous thread.

Here is where we started; http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/717498/

This message was edited May 20, 2007 6:04 PM

Blue Porterweed

Thumbnail by budgielover

Gerbera Daisy

Thumbnail by budgielover

Phaseolus Caracalla (Snail Vine)

Thumbnail by budgielover

Passiflora Incense

Thumbnail by budgielover

Hibiscus El Capito?

Thumbnail by budgielover

Salvia Coccinea

Thumbnail by budgielover

plumeria

Thumbnail by budgielover

ipomoea carnea

Thumbnail by budgielover

Purple Beauty Berry

Thumbnail by budgielover

last one
white beauty berry

Thumbnail by budgielover
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes Tammy - it is epimedium. I've just discovered it and love the orchid look of the flower. I didn't notice the slug when I was taking the picture!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Beatiful pictures. I love that white columbine too Anita.
I just started epimediums

Thumbnail by Dave47
somewhere, PA

I love to tuck an epimedium in nooks in along the edges of rock walls.
And they do well in dry areas where I have trouble with most other plants.
And there are so many wonderful choices. (I really like them. Can you tell?)

Tam

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

me too - I might have to expand my collection!

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Weigela and viburnum. Man, I love when these are in bloom!

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Here a few more from my garden -

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Everybody---

Looks like spring has sprung around the country (finally!) So pretty!

I have to chime in on this fun thread--I finally have something nice to show off this week--

Bowl of Beauty peony

Thumbnail by tabasco

My yellow iris and allium--not subtle but fun, anyway!

Thumbnail by tabasco

And wintersown foxglove, lamium and hosta in the shade garden.

Thumbnail by tabasco

And siberian iris 'forever remembered' planted last fall. (This sib. iris is really a nice one, I think.)

Thumbnail by tabasco

And a heucherella (?) 'silver something...' new last year, too. (I'm beginning to like these.)

And that's it for today. I'm hoping for some blooms in my butterfly garden before too long. We've had lovely weather here for the gardens...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Central, ME(Zone 5a)

That's a great looking Heucherella tabasco, (and need I add the rest of your pics- all great) I think I may start collecting them, they have such interesting leaves. This is one of my heucheras ready to bloom. The green-leafed ones seem to bloom earlier than the dark leaved ones.

Thumbnail by cyndiehook
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll add a few

meadow rue

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

iris/perennial bachelor buttons

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

noid yellow iris

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Great pics Al. I haven't seen meadow rue in years. Is it easy from seed?

Al, wonderful perennial combinations. Can you tell me the botanical name for perennial batchelor buttons? And the little blue flower with the yellow iris? Nice combinations...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Prairie Dusk Penstemon

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oranges and Lemons Gaillardia

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Paprika Yarrow

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Verbascum

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice Lincoln - I can't believe your Oranges & Lemons is blooming already.

The meadow rue I bought as a plant so I don't know about the seeds, but as a nativelike plant the seeds should be true.

Tabasco - that's my chives.LOL Perennial bachelor buttons are real common, they do self seed quite a bit - easy to tell and pull out if you don't want them

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/381/index.html

not sure if I've posted the flax yet this year

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Dark Blue Barlow columbine

Thanks Al--

Oh, I have 'perennial batchelor buttons' 'centaura' but they are nowhere near blooming. Barely out of the ground. Well, the chives are cute and I have some seed to try so I'll put it around the iris. Good idea!

lincolntess, you must have some strong sun in NE! My gaillardia are still half asleep. Likewise my penstemon and yarrow!...

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

The pics are wonderful!!!!!!!!

Tabasco, I love the color of your foxgloves! Mine are showing buds and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get a real pretty pink like that on at least one of them.

Al, The blue bed is stupendous! And I can see how much sense it makes to have these plants all together -- a bed you don't have to water, am I right? If you have any Meadow Rue seeds left, I would love to trade. I have one that same color that blooms in Jun-Jul-Aug bet the peatsl are much wider, and also one with that same shape flower but in yellow.

I would like to make a formal complaint that my flax is ugly. I wanted some like Al's and instead I got one that looks like a weed and is about 32" tall. LOL!

Lincoliness, I have some Zinnia seeds from you (from a swap) that I planted out a couple of weeks ago. They were red & pink mix Dasher and they are great! The Prarie Dusk Penstemon is one I had seeds for, too, and I can't wait until they look like the ones in your picture!!!! (OKay, Next year) Tabasco is right -- you are 2 or 3 weeks ahead of us. I didn't realize that.

And Budgielover, it is too depressing to even remark on your gorgeous pictures. None of that stuff is hardy, and by the time we could possibly get a bloom, i'ts October here :(( Although, of course we try to beat the odds and I am going to try the PassionVine and the Porterweed next year for the butterflies...if you have extra seed, maybe we could make a trade, too. Or I could send you my red Lantana in October. Just dig it up and ship it since it's not hardy. LOL!

Suzy

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Suzy - you are right about the watering of that bed. I like to water,but skip that bed a lot. There is a siberian iris in there that doesn't fit in and will be moved out. Send me a dmail on the meadow rue.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, I can barely keep up with this thread. Dontcha just love this time of year?

I'm still waiting for most things, but my Weigela 'Variegata' has started to bloom.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

some new Allium 'Purple Sensation' that I planted last fall

the foliage got burned by the last freeze, but the blooms are all fine

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I just bought this rosa 'Moondance'. It's not planted yet, but here are some of the great blooms.

Thumbnail by grampapa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.